Several questions on Breed!

REDMAN4

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
Purchased several Rhode Island Reds back at the first part of December and when we went to pick them up they had a few other chicks that we wanted as well. They told us that two of them where Easter Eggers and would lay blue eggs (the people had Ameracaunas but they did not call these Americaunas) and that one of them was a Barred Rock Cochin Frizzle (bantam), and one was a Barred Rock Cochin (bantam). Now that they are getting bigger we are not sure exactly what they are because when we look at pics of those chickens they don't look like ours. We are also starting to suspect that our solid white girl may be a Roo! Her comb is not big like the RIR Roos but it is there...anyway, pics below and what we were told they were:

This is Sirus, we were told she is a EE

Pic of Sirus feet

We were told Little Bit is a Barred Rock Cochin Bantam

Is Fluffy a Barred Rock Cochin Frizzle bantam? He is so ugly he is cute..my oldest son loves this guy!

Is Moody a boy or girl? A White EE?

Close up of Moody face, she has green legs. Moody is solid white even thought you can't tell because of the red light. She is gorgeous. We were told she was a hen but are suspecting she may be a rooster. She is about 10 weeks old.

They all look like Silkie crosses.
1. could be silkie/ameraucana pullet
2. looks like a silkie/silverlaced pullet
3. both parents had to be silkied or carried the silkie gene, he is barred, but not frizzled, silkied cockeral
4. silkie cross, i could say cockeral based on size of comb

they are all silkie mixes. fluffy is a cockerel all the way, with ameracauna in some of the mixes which is why they are called ee's, and possably they have cochin in some of them as well. but all are silkie mixes with their blue earlobs, they all have the slate legs, and creast. cant see their toes but they probly also have 5 toes.

Purchased several Rhode Island Reds back at the first part of December and when we went to pick them up they had a few other chicks that we wanted as well. They told us that two of them where Easter Eggers and would lay blue eggs (the people had Ameracaunas but they did not call these Americaunas) and that one of them was a Barred Rock Cochin Frizzle (bantam), and one was a Barred Rock Cochin (bantam). Now that they are getting bigger we are not sure exactly what they are because when we look at pics of those chickens they don't look like ours. We are also starting to suspect that our solid white girl may be a Roo! Her comb is not big like the RIR Roos but it is there...anyway, pics below and what we were told they were:

This is Sirus, we were told she is a EE

Pic of Sirus feet

We were told Little Bit is a Barred Rock Cochin Bantam

Is Fluffy a Barred Rock Cochin Frizzle bantam? He is so ugly he is cute..my oldest son loves this guy!

Is Moody a boy or girl? A White EE?

Close up of Moody face, she has green legs. Moody is solid white even thought you can't tell because of the red light. She is gorgeous. We were told she was a hen but are suspecting she may be a rooster. She is about 10 weeks old.

They all look like Silkie crosses.
1. could be silkie/ameraucana pullet
2. looks like a silkie/silverlaced pullet
3. both parents had to be silkied or carried the silkie gene, he is barred, but not frizzled, silkied cockeral
4. silkie cross, i could say cockeral based on size of comb

agree with this one.......

Oh yes we could tell Fluffy was a Roo when we picked him out. My oldest thought he was cute LOL and he has turned out to be quite the character. I love my Little Bit and Sirus...my boys say they have Mohawks. I will be slightly dissapointed if Moody is a Roo as we already have a RIR rooster we are definitely keeping because he is so huge and pretty. Can two Roosters live together? If not we may end up building a coop within our coop to put Moody and the three females listed here. Because none of us want to get rid of him if in fact it is a him not a her. We are fairly new to chickens but we love them so much! Thanks for your help.

depends on how many hens you have the more hens the better but if just a few it can led to the roosters fighting and even killing each other.

how many roos total...if i am right 2 for sure and a possable 3rd? so if you have 12 hens and 3 roos that would be 4 hens per roo. you could always try and building 2 more pens and seperating them into groups of 5. just a thought
wink.png
that is if you have the room to do that.

Last edited:
Well we have 1 RIR Roo and 10 RIR hens.

we have one Silkie mix bantam above and the one silkie mix Roo bantam above

And then the one silkie americauna mix hen above and the White silkie cross which apparently may also be a Rooster.

Back
Top Bottom