several questions on genetics

If you raise bantams, get the Bantam Standard from the ABA at bantamclub.com If you raise large fowl or both, get the Standard of Perfection from the American Poultry Association. If you have a local poultry club, they may have copies available for sale. You can find the standard for individual breeds on many breed club websites.

Quote:
from my experience with black mottle pekins, yes, the chicks hatch with your usual mottle marks.... dot on the head, mask, etc.... grew up with white flecks, but some totally turn black with the 1st moult.

Hmmm, how does that jive with mo being a recessive gene? Could there be different or helper genes involved? Or does it show on chick down & then disappear or ...?

I'm gonna have to take some photos of my F1 crosses for mottled silkies and ask if they look like what you describe. The white is very small spots as compared to the size I would expect them to be for mottling.

probably a leaky gene? Like dominant white on black... anyway, it makes life easier to pick the chicks to band....

I'll take a pic of my pekins later...

here's one of them...

DSCF4840.jpg

HI THERE! A new book has just been published here in Britain which deals with these subjects. It's the first time I've been able to understand the processes; it also has 240 photos. It's called: 21st Century Poultry Breeding by Grant Brereton Published 2008, by The Gold Cockerel Series ISBN 97809 47870 577 GOLD COCKEREL BOOKS: www.goldcockerelbooks.co.uk As it's a paperback you could order it direct or probably ask Byc if they would stock it----------PRETTY PLEASE MODERATOR!!! IT REALLY DID MAKE THINGS CLEARER FOR ME TO UNDERSTAND.

Back
Top Bottom