Several questions

Also, do your chickens "yell" at you for food every time you go out there? Even if I bring them like the leafy carrot top which they seem to love, they'll immediately start yelling for more. As they've gotten bigger, they've gotten much louder. My husband told me the other day when he was taking our dogs out that my "chickens were making very weird loud noises" until they realized it was him and not me (he doesn't like them).
You realize they're training you to reward them, right? If you (and any neighbors) don't mind the noise, by all means, you can treat them whenever you wish, but if the noise might be a concern, you need to be the one training them, not the other way around.
Does anyone just let their chickens lay as they will or does everyone put the lights out to help? Is there a health benefit of encouraging these extra lay time?
Using lights in winter forces them to lay when they'd otherwise be taking a break. So while it hasn't been proven (far as I know) it's more likely a health deterrent than a benefit.

However, they have in the last few days, taken to crouching down and bracing their wings if they think I'm about to touch them or pick them up. Is this normal?
Submission or mating position. Calling it a "massage" is polite, by rubbing their backs you're trying to simulating a male mating them, which is why some people won't do it. I do it because it encourages my girls to keep squatting (makes them easier to catch/pick up) and because it helps me ID which birds are close to/actively laying, and which aren't.

You realize they're training you to reward them, right?
I don’t take them treats every time I go out there, they just think I should be lol

Calling it a "massage" is polite, by rubbing their backs you're trying to simulating a male mating them,
Two of my girls move their tail to the side and then fluff all their feathers out and shake after. I’m assuming this is something they’d normally do?

They seem so restless today. They’ve gone into the coop at least 6 times this morning, and they usually only do it once a day. I’m not sure if she is trying to go in the coop to be alone, she keeps looking in the nesting box with the ceramic eggs, but her flock mates want to follow her? I wish I could help her, I’m sure she has no idea what is going on.

They seem so restless today. They’ve gone into the coop at least 6 times this morning, and they usually only do it once a day. I’m not sure if she is trying to go in the coop to be alone, she keeps looking in the nesting box with the ceramic eggs, but her flock mates want to follow her? I wish I could help her, I’m sure she has no idea what is going on.

POL pullets do get a little nutty.

I found mine had a greater tendency to fly over the fence for a couple weeks before they started laying. I guess their hormones are telling them to do stuff but they don't quite know what stuff they ought to do. :D

POL pullets
I haven’t seen this acronym before… what does it mean?

I just came in from visiting them and I’ve found myself wondering lately if they preen so much around me because they know I’m keeping an eye out for predators and they can relax a little more? I’m not entirely sure how hens with a rooster act.

I haven’t seen this acronym before… what does it mean?

I just came in from visiting them and I’ve found myself wondering lately if they preen so much around me because they know I’m keeping an eye out for predators and they can relax a little more? I’m not entirely sure how hens with a rooster act.

POL = Point-of-lay

Pullets just about old enough to start laying at any time.

Two of my girls move their tail to the side and then fluff all their feathers out and shake after. I’m assuming this is something they’d normally do?
It's normal. They move their tail to the side to allow for better contact with the vent (for mating) and the shake is supposed to help with pushing sperm up into their reproductive tract for fertilization, or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom