Several Texas A&M With Prolapse Problem

jlmissouri

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 22, 2012
Missouri
I have been raising quail for a couple years, but had a new problem this year. I purchased eggs for Texas A&M quail and raised them with my regular Jumbo's. The A&M's just reached maturity and I was sexing them and seperating them from the others so they wouldn't interbreed, Anyway out of 15 females 4 prolapsed while being handled.

I have sexed many quail before and never had this problem. In fact I sexed the regular brown coturnix quail and didn't have one problem with them. They were all raised together.

They were all fed 27% gamebird starter, the A&M's are larger than the others, probably overweight. The A&M's also fought harder and seemed to freak out more than the others while trying to sex them. The A&M's were hatched from eggs, the breeder got his stock from James Marie Farms.

The four that prolapsed were seperated and all seem to be doing fine. They were removed from the breeding groups to cull as I beleive this weakness might be passed down. Is it heridatary?

What could have caused this? Do they just grow to fast for their own good? Too high protien feed? I know being possibly overweight and the stress of being sexed started the problem, but they obviously have a weakness as the other group was sexed without one incident. Also the other group is not as fat, these A&M's seem to be like the Cornish cross of the quail world.

Yes, it is likely (I'm no expert) a mix of genetics and the fact they struggled more. Being over-weight might not help, but I'm not sure. It is likely because they were bred to be unnaturally meaty that they may have this weakness, though that is just a guess.

I hope this helps.

Yeah that is where I am leaning too. I will cull all the ones that had the problem, maybe a couple years into it I can reduce the problem.

Back
Top Bottom