Severe Bulge Under Chicken's Vent (Pictures) PLEASE HELP!

My sweet old hen died of this because I couldn't find any information on what was going on. Later I found an avian vet and asked him about it, and he said it's totally fixable if you get the bird in to be drained. I would never do it myself, but people do. He said you have to drain off the fluid, and sometimes they go on anbitiocs, and he cleans them out sometimes as well. He said that eventually that fluid (if left be) will continue to grow until it presses on their air sacs (located in their abdomen) and they will suffocate to death. That is what happened with my bird. I had her at my regular vet and he had no clue. She died there while he did nothing because he didn't know what to do. That's when I got busy and found the avian vet. Sad to know I could have saved my sweet pet, but at least now I know. I would find an avian vet, or get brave enough to do it yourself. Good luck!!

RaeRae2, since I started keeping chickens last year I've only had a couple of incidents that required medical intervention, but I did go online and locate a couple of avian vets in the area. Good to know, because eventually I'll need one... I'm sorry you lost your pet, that's rough.

Thank you so much! This is exactly the information I was looking for! After soaking her and getting her cleaned up, we were able to tell it was not an egg in the sac below her vent. I just had no idea what to do. I must have been searching for the wrong thing on BYC because I never found something as helpful as this. I just purchased two different sized needles and syringes and we are going to attempt to drain the sac tonight or tomorrow. Frankly, I'm quite worried, too, but I know I can't afford a vet. This seems like the best option. I also purchased an antibiotic that can be put in her water. I figured that couldn't hurt either. I've never had to use medication on my hens, but in this instance, I think it's the right thing to do. Thanks so much for reading the thread and replying. you may have saved our sweet Reba!

You're a brave soul!
thumbsup.gif
I should learn some of this myself....I hope Reba makes it! I'm out for the rest of the day

It certainly looks like ascites, but it could be an abscess, soft mass or tumor, or any other number of things that you may not be able to drain. Check her breast area to see if she is underweight based on the prominence of her breast bone.

i have a light sussex chick that is about 3 weeks old whos left side of leg, and under wing and butt are squishy like an inflatable balloon.... i have never seen a bird with this before and i cannot tell if it is air or liquid. the skin is transparent but i see nothing and feel no mass.... its just like someone inflated one side of this chick.....
should i try sticking a needle in and let the pressure drain out the air/ fluid?

This has been a very informative thread for me to read and follow. I also have a good layer with a condition which looks exactly like the photos you posted. Thank you for the photos. How is your hen doing? Did you end up taking her to the vet, or continue with trying to draw out the fluid yourself?

I soaked my girl last evening and explored the vent and felt nothing. She seems content, but as she explores her surroundings I can see her vent contracting. Does that sound familiar?

I will subscribe to your thread and stay tuned for updates on your hen.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner. The second time we tried to drain the mass under Reba's vent, the same thing happened - just a few droplets of blood in the syringe. Not even any air was released. I'm stumped. We waited for the worst of the summer heat to pass and then moved her back outside with her friends. She is back to free-ranging and certainly acts like she feels fine, but the mass is still there. It appears to be the same size - no bigger yet. I found a vet willing to take a chicken, but the costs were just astronomical. I'm not ready to do that just yet, especially since she seems like she feels fine.

After doing a little research outside of backyard chickens, I was able to find a couple other people talking about a condition like this. Some said that their chickens have lived for years with the mass on their backside. I find this so bizarre! I guess if the mass where to stay the same size though, it could happen. I'm hoping that Reba will be like that and continue to live a happy life. If anyone does find out anything specific about what this is, I'd definitely appreciate an update on this thread if you can.

This has been a very informative thread for me to read and follow. I also have a good layer with a condition which looks exactly like the photos you posted. Thank you for the photos. How is your hen doing? Did you end up taking her to the vet, or continue with trying to draw out the fluid yourself?
I soaked my girl last evening and explored the vent and felt nothing. She seems content, but as she explores her surroundings I can see her vent contracting. Does that sound familiar?
I will subscribe to your thread and stay tuned for updates on your hen.

When I get close and move Reba's feathers out of the way, she contracts her vent, but she is so fluffy that when she is roaming around, I can't see her vent to know if it's contracting. I'm so sorry one of yours has this, too. I know how upsetting it is to not know what you're dealing with, or what direction to take to fix the problem.

Back
Top Bottom