Severe Bulge Under Chicken's Vent (Pictures) PLEASE HELP!

I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner. The second time we tried to drain the mass under Reba's vent, the same thing happened - just a few droplets of blood in the syringe. Not even any air was released. I'm stumped. We waited for the worst of the summer heat to pass and then moved her back outside with her friends. She is back to free-ranging and certainly acts like she feels fine, but the mass is still there. It appears to be the same size - no bigger yet. I found a vet willing to take a chicken, but the costs were just astronomical. I'm not ready to do that just yet, especially since she seems like she feels fine.

After doing a little research outside of backyard chickens, I was able to find a couple other people talking about a condition like this. Some said that their chickens have lived for years with the mass on their backside. I find this so bizarre! I guess if the mass where to stay the same size though, it could happen. I'm hoping that Reba will be like that and continue to live a happy life. If anyone does find out anything specific about what this is, I'd definitely appreciate an update on this thread if you can.

try looking at prices at a vet school or an aviary rescue place. It might be alot cheaper

Sounds like Salmonella or Escherichia coli.
How does the poop like like? Runny? Watery? White? Bloody?
Just try some Neomycin Sulfate or other antibiotics.

Last edited:
When I get close and move Reba's feathers out of the way, she contracts her vent, but she is so fluffy that when she is roaming around, I can't see her vent to know if it's contracting. I'm so sorry one of yours has this, too. I know how upsetting it is to not know what you're dealing with, or what direction to take to fix the problem.
Does she get better? Why not try some antibiotics as a start? It may be helpful.

The above commenter is correct. Our sweet Reba passed away last week from this condition. We first noticed her bulge in July, so the fact that she made it until November is pretty incredible. She continued laying until her molt. It was after her molt that while passing a large egg (all of hers were huge) that she laid her entrails as well. We immediately took her to the vet to have her put down. It was terrible to loose our family pet, but I'm so grateful for the year and a half we had with her.

The above commenter is correct. Our sweet Reba passed away last week from this condition. We first noticed her bulge in July, so the fact that she made it until November is pretty incredible. She continued laying until her molt. It was after her molt that while passing a large egg (all of hers were huge) that she laid her entrails as well. We immediately took her to the vet to have her put down. It was terrible to loose our family pet, but I'm so grateful for the year and a half we had with her.

Just read your post and I am so sorry about Reba. We have Miss Rustie who has a bulge also. I had her in the house for the past 3 days giving her sitz baths and massaging the bulge towards her vent, but nothing happens. I checked her vent no egg that i could tell and tried draining and got nothing but air. I was so into the ascites and forgot about hernias. Going to read more on them. Thank you so much for posting your thread it was very helpful. I put Miss Rustie back out in the coop with the rest hoping she does better with moving around. I would like to see her last until spring/summer so she can start free ranging again. And again to you sorry about Reba.

Just read your post and I am so sorry about Reba. We have Miss Rustie who has a bulge also. I had her in the house for the past 3 days giving her sitz baths and massaging the bulge towards her vent, but nothing happens. I checked her vent no egg that i could tell and tried draining and got nothing but air. I was so into the ascites and forgot about hernias. Going to read more on them. Thank you so much for posting your thread it was very helpful. I put Miss Rustie back out in the coop with the rest hoping she does better with moving around. I would like to see her last until spring/summer so she can start free ranging again. And again to you sorry about Reba.

Your situation with Miss Rustie sounds nearly identical to what we went through with Reba. I am so sorry you're having the same problem. It is awful when there's nothing you can do to help. I've since done quite a bit more research on this, and I've found some people's chickens have lived a year or more with the same kind of hernia, so there is still hope for Miss Rustie! I'd put her back out in the coop with her friends since I'm sure that's where she's most comfortable. The biggest problem I had with leaving Reba with the others was that they would occasionally peck at her bulge, especially once she lost all the feathers on her rear end. The other issue I had was that occasionally while free ranging, Reba would hurt her bulge jumping off our patio and other places. It would hit the wood and sometimes cut her skin. It was pretty difficult to keep that from happening. I just tried to keep it doctored up when it happened so it wouldn't get infected. The hernia itself doesn't cause them any pain, but I'm sure it can't feel good to hurt it on the outside! Good luck with Miss Rustie. I really hope she hangs on for a long time for you!

We drained my chickens bulge, and the yolk and other fluid came out. Also clipped the feathers around it cause full of poop. But, there is still a problem. Looks like she has a "prolapsed uterus"....its on the right side, sticking out. Was afraid to try and push it back in. Don't know what to do.

Oh dear god! I've had a hen like this for four days!!! Every day I think she's going to die! Now I see this! We'll thank goodness someone is helping with information.

HI
The swelling is some type of Hernia, I have had a very disturbing morning with my Blackrock Chicken, whose Massive Swelling split open, showing some of her intestine. My chicken have a lot of space and thankfully did not peck her but in time they would have and she would have died an even worse death.
The misleading bit is she seemed fine until to day eating and laying, running about and even getting on her perch at night.. If i new what was coming i would have put her to sleep sooner.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom