Severe Bulge Under Chicken's Vent (Pictures) PLEASE HELP!

The above commenter is correct. Our sweet Reba passed away last week from this condition. We first noticed her bulge in July, so the fact that she made it until November is pretty incredible. She continued laying until her molt. It was after her molt that while passing a large egg (all of hers were huge) that she laid her entrails as well. We immediately took her to the vet to have her put down. It was terrible to loose our family pet, but I'm so grateful for the year and a half we had with her.

Just read your post and I am so sorry about Reba. We have Miss Rustie who has a bulge also. I had her in the house for the past 3 days giving her sitz baths and massaging the bulge towards her vent, but nothing happens. I checked her vent no egg that i could tell and tried draining and got nothing but air. I was so into the ascites and forgot about hernias. Going to read more on them. Thank you so much for posting your thread it was very helpful. I put Miss Rustie back out in the coop with the rest hoping she does better with moving around. I would like to see her last until spring/summer so she can start free ranging again. And again to you sorry about Reba.

Just read your post and I am so sorry about Reba. We have Miss Rustie who has a bulge also. I had her in the house for the past 3 days giving her sitz baths and massaging the bulge towards her vent, but nothing happens. I checked her vent no egg that i could tell and tried draining and got nothing but air. I was so into the ascites and forgot about hernias. Going to read more on them. Thank you so much for posting your thread it was very helpful. I put Miss Rustie back out in the coop with the rest hoping she does better with moving around. I would like to see her last until spring/summer so she can start free ranging again. And again to you sorry about Reba.

Your situation with Miss Rustie sounds nearly identical to what we went through with Reba. I am so sorry you're having the same problem. It is awful when there's nothing you can do to help. I've since done quite a bit more research on this, and I've found some people's chickens have lived a year or more with the same kind of hernia, so there is still hope for Miss Rustie! I'd put her back out in the coop with her friends since I'm sure that's where she's most comfortable. The biggest problem I had with leaving Reba with the others was that they would occasionally peck at her bulge, especially once she lost all the feathers on her rear end. The other issue I had was that occasionally while free ranging, Reba would hurt her bulge jumping off our patio and other places. It would hit the wood and sometimes cut her skin. It was pretty difficult to keep that from happening. I just tried to keep it doctored up when it happened so it wouldn't get infected. The hernia itself doesn't cause them any pain, but I'm sure it can't feel good to hurt it on the outside! Good luck with Miss Rustie. I really hope she hangs on for a long time for you!

We drained my chickens bulge, and the yolk and other fluid came out. Also clipped the feathers around it cause full of poop. But, there is still a problem. Looks like she has a "prolapsed uterus"....its on the right side, sticking out. Was afraid to try and push it back in. Don't know what to do.

Sarah I noticed you posted this around 2011 if you've gotten a response or you figure out what the problem was please let me know thank you vivian
I'm not Sarah, but the poster stated that her hen died a few months later from a hernia. Actually, this was probably a reproductive disorder. In her case no fluid was found in the pouch when she tried to drain it. Do some research on internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis--there are a lot of problems that hens can develop in their reproductive tracts.

Oh dear god! I've had a hen like this for four days!!! Every day I think she's going to die! Now I see this! We'll thank goodness someone is helping with information.

HI
The swelling is some type of Hernia, I have had a very disturbing morning with my Blackrock Chicken, whose Massive Swelling split open, showing some of her intestine. My chicken have a lot of space and thankfully did not peck her but in time they would have and she would have died an even worse death.
The misleading bit is she seemed fine until to day eating and laying, running about and even getting on her perch at night.. If i new what was coming i would have put her to sleep sooner.
Good luck

Okay, I have a Guinea fowl that had this same problem. It's a hernia and should be corrected if it's a good pet.

I am sorry to hear about all your loss.

I may be in the minority in this but It horrifies me to think these chickens were left to continue laying eggs, can you even imagine how painful that must have been! Their internal organs busted out! When we choose to raise animals we have a duty to them to do so in the most humane way possible, this includes culling them if need be. My hope is that none of you will ever have to go through this again but should you please consider culling the chicken. At least then the bird can be harvested for dinner and does not go to waste.

This is not meant to criticize just another point of view, I thought I would share

I once had a wonderful hen who had a problem with something like this. I'm not sure if it was a hernia or something else, but it was horrible to lose her. She was a great pet and would jump on my lap and sunbathe. We tried softening the bulge with a soak, massages, and lotion and it began to diminish in size, and she started to act better, but suddenly she didn't act right anymore and passed. I'm sorry for everyone else who's chickens have had this problem; it's awful to lose someone you love.
As a comment to Bettyboop7499, I understand your point of view, but I don't think I could ever eat any of my birds, especially not one that I hatched and raised as a part of my family. You just can't eat family.

Back
Top Bottom