Severe case of scaley legs, over-grown toe nails and missing scales

ColeyPoultry

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
Foxton, New Zealand
To cut a long story short, I've bought a pair of Barnevelder last Saturday, both got severe scaley leg problem. One isn't too bad but the second hen got the worstest case of scaley legs, 'over-grown' claws (long, twisted nd curved sideways) which saw her walking gingerly like a frogman on dry land. She's missing a great number of scales as well.
I've never having experienced this kind of severity and I stupidly trimmed her claws a wee bit too far (despite having trimmed longer than the shorter lengths shown by my own hens).
I've now come to an inclusion that if the claws grows longer, so will the blood vessels.
old.gif

Anyway, it has been a few days and a few treatments, I am starting to see a bit of 'yellow' pigment coming through. *yay!*
ya.gif
But I'm still a long way from fixing and healing her legs.

And isn't it wonderful (not!) that my two recent purchases (white Japs and Barnevelders) from different places, all required immediate medical attention long before arriving here. Its pathetic!
somad.gif

So the questions I'd really like to ask is, how long does it take for new scales to come through? Should I be waiting until moulting time?

Would a severe case of scaley legs (The worstest scaley leg imaginable), cause a claw to drop off? I'm asking this because my Jap male is missing 3-4 claws of his. I dont think his will grow back?

So if anyone could clue me in about the missing scales and claws, that'll be muchly appreciated!
thumbsup.gif

If the legs are severely damaged, the scales may never grow back. Continue treatment and hope for the best. Just as with dogs, the quick extends further out in over grown toe nails. With regular nail trimmings you can gradually force the quick back. I can understand your sympathy for and applaud you for taking on this task, but I would never add such birds to my flocks. With these very evident health problems I would be worried about health issues that are not as visible.

Quote:
I must remember re 'quick extending as far as over grown toe nails' would go.

Not to worry sourland, they have not joined either of my flocks as each of these 'scaley-legged' breeds (a trio of Japs and a pair of Barnies) are in quarantine and in their own house and area undergoing treatment.

So apart from suffering from scaley legs, they appear to be healthy otherwise, but on the genetic side of things, the Japs are on possible 'cull-list' due to looking more like crosses than purebreds...and the Barnevelders, although purebreds, are not ideal show quality birds due to defective double lacings to some feathers but that doesn't matter because I'm only using the Barnevelders to improve a trait on a breed that I'm working on. I have no intention of starting up a flock of Barnevelders nor do I want to keep them any longer than 5 months.

And when it comes to introducing new blood, there's always some unknown risks involve and you wont always know 'what's in the pudding' unless you carry out test-matings and keeping 'F1 progenies' away from the main flock. If such results proved unfruitful or disasturous, then all progenies would be culled with the 2 Barnevelders being sold off as non exhibition, purebred Barnevelders to someone who would only want the hens for eggs.

But nevertheless, I sure hope this Barnevelder girl will have her scales regrown
fl.gif

Damage from scaly leg mites will cause the toenails to fall off as well as the toes themselves. I was told the scales will possibly grow back but don't know yet for sure. Toenails usually don't. Watch for mites on the head around the comb as well. Eventually the chicken can die, usually from infection from rotting feet/legs.
sharon

Quote:
Unbelievable isn't it? Its amazed me that some people think they could own a bird or anaimal, didn't bother to look up on things when something odd had come into effect.

The male Jap with a few missing claws looked as though as the skin had grown over where the claws should be, so it did looked as though his claws wont be growing back at all but he appear to have no difficulties in scratching around. The Barnevelder girl with the worst scaley legs and trimmed claws is walking a lot better this morning. She's getting used to me now (which is good) and while I was observing her this morning, she managed to do a bit of scratching. So she's on her way to becoming active with her feet/claws and getting better
clap.gif

Apparently overgrown toe nails signifys 'inactivity' so I'm wondering how on earth can a chook be unactive? She came from big enclosures with ample room to move around in. Nothing there gave me any clue as to how she ended up with such long claws. Scaley legs I didn't have to wonder as there were obvious signs through most birds and I had put it down to Breeder's inability to handle the situation or that she couldn't be bothered. She offered only to treat the 2 birds with kerosene and vaseline prior to leaving. I declined
roll.png

I have a bantam whose legs are extremely damaged from scaly leg mites AND favus, but a while ago her scales did start to grow back. Two of her claws fell off yesterday and the day before, even though the scaly leg was a long time ago. :L But anyway, the legs have to be very, very badly damaged for the scales not to grow back.

Back
Top Bottom