Silkie Rooster Severe Scaly Leg Mites, could lose a toe?

MarvelousMcCunes

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2022
I have an elderly neighbor lady who, I think, is struggling to care for her chickens. I've taken in her Silkie Rooster who had a *SEVERE* case of scaly leg mites. I've been doing oil/Vet RX treatments every two days or so, have him quarantined with plenty of food/water. A lot of the scaly build up I was able to peel off. Maybe 20% is still there, the feet are pretty swollen still. He lost probably three toenails.

I'm feeling confident about the scaly leg mite treatment, we have plans to treat all her hens this weekend (some show beginning signs). My problem right now, is that his main toe on his left foot is in a very bad way. It looks like the mites maybe ate through most of the bone, or ate all the flesh (???). It looks broken or maybe ready to come off. I've left it alone as he wasn't walking on it and I've been treating/sterilizing it to keep out infection. Just this afternoon, though, I noticed it looked like he maybe scratched with it and reopened the wound a little. The toe looks like it's bent in the wrong direction now, ever so slightly.

now I'm wondering if I should treat it with antibiotic ointment and wrap it with a splint? or should I leave it? or do I dare try and cut it off if it's going to be a source of infection? I'm nervous that this is going to kill him, honestly, if it goes badly.

any thoughts? The area around the wound is pretty much black. but I don't feel any heat or extreme swelling...

I have an elderly neighbor lady who, I think, is struggling to care for her chickens. I've taken in her Silkie Rooster who had a *SEVERE* case of scaly leg mites. I've been doing oil/Vet RX treatments every two days or so, have him quarantined with plenty of food/water. A lot of the scaly build up I was able to peel off. Maybe 20% is still there, the feet are pretty swollen still. He lost probably three toenails.

I'm feeling confident about the scaly leg mite treatment, we have plans to treat all her hens this weekend (some show beginning signs). My problem right now, is that his main toe on his left foot is in a very bad way. It looks like the mites maybe ate through most of the bone, or ate all the flesh (???). It looks broken or maybe ready to come off. I've left it alone as he wasn't walking on it and I've been treating/sterilizing it to keep out infection. Just this afternoon, though, I noticed it looked like he maybe scratched with it and reopened the wound a little. The toe looks like it's bent in the wrong direction now, ever so slightly.

now I'm wondering if I should treat it with antibiotic ointment and wrap it with a splint? or should I leave it? or do I dare try and cut it off if it's going to be a source of infection? I'm nervous that this is going to kill him, honestly, if it goes badly.

any thoughts? The area around the wound is pretty much black. but I don't feel any heat or extreme swelling...
Pics will help. I’d try preserving his toe first. Try splinting and wrapping it first, cutting his toe off can be a last resort. If it gets infected you may have to do that.

Here's picture of the feet and especially the toe. You can see most of the damage. Prior to treatment his feet were covered, and most of the way up to his elbow were encrusted with thick chunks. It's just this toe I'm most concerned with. He eats/drinks well.

Attachments

• ScalyLegs.jpg
    ScalyLegs.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 23
Toe looks like something was cutting into it. I think it's too far gone for saving.

Scaly Leg Mites is what I'm treating currently with a couple of my flocks. One isn't as bad as the other.

What I'm doing is soaking the legs in warm soapy water, I soak about ten minutes, then scrub with a tooth brush to remove dead skin, & scales. Usually you only can get some, not all the first go.

Then I smother the legs in petroleum Jelly. I repeat twice a day if necessary. It also help keep the dead skin, & scales soft which makes the next round of scrubbing(Day2), easier to get rid of dead skin, & scales.

I then coat legs again in petroleum Jelly, then day 3. The final scrub, & smothering.

3 days was all one hen took to get rid of all the gunk. I just completed a 4 day treatment for a Silkie rooster today.

The next two birds will get their treatments soon.

Toe looks like something was cutting into it. I think it's too far gone for saving.

Scaly Leg Mites is what I'm treating currently with a couple of my flocks. One isn't as bad as the other.

What I'm doing is soaking the legs in warm soapy water, I soak about ten minutes, then scrub with a tooth brush to remove dead skin, & scales. Usually you only can get some, not all the first go.

Then I smother the legs in petroleum Jelly. I repeat twice a day if necessary. It also help keep the dead skin, & scales soft which makes the next round of scrubbing(Day2), easier to get rid of dead skin, & scales.

I then coat legs again in petroleum Jelly, then day 3. The final scrub, & smothering.

3 days was all one hen took to get rid of all the gunk. I just completed a 4 day treatment for a Silkie rooster today.

The next two birds will get their treatments soon.
I couldn't even begin to tell you what happened to that toe prior to the scaly leg mites. I think it looks horrible, it was like that when the scaly crusts came off. I nearly passed out.

Back
Top Bottom