Severe head injury

BearBean

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
This happened about a month ago, but I was hoping to find out if I made the right decision.

Our chickens like to follow us around while we are leaving/returning from work, since we occasionally have treats on hand. One day, they were bunched up in front of the door to the garage, waiting for my attention, as usual. I shooed them away and thought them clear of the door. I turned around and closed the door behind me.

Sadly, one was not clear of the door. One of our chicks, a little over 3 months old, stuck her head in the door just as I closed it shut hard. When I opened the door, her head was very bloody and her body was convulsing.

I made the decision to try to end her life as quickly as possible to end the suffering, and have a premature chicken dinner. My question is, was this hasty? Could that chicken have survived such an injury?

To me and my honest opinion, it sounds like the right decision. With her convulsing, it sounds like she could have possibly had brain damage- bird skulls are very fragile after all- which I do not think there is nothing you could have done to fix. I think you ending her suffering was very humane and kind in this situation. I am very sorry about your loss :(

Back
Top Bottom