Severe hen pecked! Help!

Tanka

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Massachusetts
I came home from work to find my poor little girl pecked like crazy on the back of her head. All of her feathers are gone and her skin is raw and bleeding. I've cleaned it with warm soapy water a couple of times. Figured out it was my young rooster as he had blood on his beak and a few missing feathers around his face but he's fine. This is the first time something like this has happened to me and I'm not sure what kind of meds I need to get for her. I'm separating her from the rest of the flock and making a chicken hospital. What else do I need to do?!?

A saline flush would be good and some Neosporin (eye type). Betadine is a good thing to use before the triple antibiotic ointment too.
Otherwise, she'll probably be fine.
If she's in real bad shape she could benefit from a warm place (around 75-80 F)
Young cockerels breeding can be violent. I've had parts of combs ripped off.

Last edited:
Do you have any betadine that you can apply to her wounds....any honey that you can put on her wounds for the time being?

Keep her warm and isolated until her wounds have healed...

Betadine is available at all drug stores - as are all other things to help an injured chicken like eye type triple antibiotic ointments, Campho Phenique, hydrogen peroxide and baby aspirin.

sure
I'm sure it will be ok. The wounds you're talking about probably aren't as severe as if perpetrated by a coon or dog, in which case I would be more concerned about bacteria.

Ok so she's all set up in her hospital room in my basement. I got betadine and cleaned her wound and then I put the triple antibiotic on. How many times a day should I clean it and put the antibiotic on?
Ps. I had trouble finding the betadine at the store so I asked for help and when I told them why I needed it they looked at me like I was a crazy person! Haha

This was earlier today when I first found her.

She looks much better this morning. She's drinking but only wants to eat bird seed. Her face is still pretty swollen so maybe it hurts when she eats her pellets. Would baby aspirin get the swelling down? And if so how do I give it to her? And what else should I offer to her to eat?

Back
Top Bottom