Severe injury to pet Duck's neck - HELP (Graphic Picture)

MamatoDaisy

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 1, 2015
To make a long story short, one of our roosters viciously attacked my pet Duck, Daisy. He almost killed her and severely injured her from the top of her head all the way down the back of her neck. The wound covers a large area. We took her to the only vet hospital within a 2 hour ride that would treat her on Saturday (the day it happened) and again on Monday. They told us to clean the wound every day with gently running water and keep the area bandaged. The also gave us a tub of silver sulphurdiaxinine cream to put on it. She gets pain medicine once a day and antibiotics twice a day. She is eating and drinking. The problem is we cannot get the bandage to stay put. We are using nonstick pads and vet wrap to wrap her neck. As soon as we put it on her she starts stretching her neck, shaking her head and preening her feathers which makes everything loosen and slide down her neck. The vet hospital was closed yesterday and today so I can't get in touch with anyone that know about birds/ducks. We finally gave up last night and left the bandage off but she is rubbing her neck against her back and the whole wound is just looking really bad. The vet told us that if infection did not set in, she would recover so of course I am frantic that it is already infected or that by this issue with the bandage it will get infected. I am truly heartbroken that this has happened to her. I never would have dreamed a rooster would be capable of doing this. Does anybody have any suggestions as to keeping her neck wrapped or is it ok to just try to keep the cream on it as much as possible? We take her back to the vet tomorrow.

Last edited:
So sorry about Daisy. Can you possibly post pictures of the wound so people can see what you are dealing with? Some people have used Elizabethan type collars on birds not sure if something like that might help keep her from getting it off https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...old-update-elizabethan-collar-sizing-pictures
If it can be kept clean and the bird will leave it alone, many people do leave treated wounds open to the air just putting on spray/ointment a couple of times a day.

I know this sounds silly but I am almost afraid to send in a picture, The wound looks really bad and when I tried to upload it, I was asked if I was uploading offensive material? Is it ok to post injury pictures that are really graphic?

I know this sounds silly but I am almost afraid to send in a picture, The wound looks really bad and when I tried to upload it, I was asked if I was uploading offensive material? Is it ok to post injury pictures that are really graphic?

It's normal that you are asked if the material you are uploading is offensive, and if you have the right to publish it - they are just standard questions that cover the website in case you upload something illegal, so don't worry about that.

There are many awful photos of wounds etc online - as horrible as they are, they are useful for others to see what you are dealing with and to try and help you. However, if it is very graphic then I suggest that you amend the title of the thread to include wording like *WARNING - GRAPHIC PHOTOS*

That way people will know what to expect when they click on the link.

Here is a picture. This is the back of her head.

Here is a picture. This is the back of her head.
Doesn't look like it's weeping which is good. I think if you keep the silver cream on it like the vet said and keep her away from the rest of the flock especially the chickens because they will be drawn to that wound, she will heal just fine. If you live where there are flies you need to keep her safe inside to keep the flies from laying eggs and maggots will come from that, something you do not want to deal with. Ducks are very tough and can come back from some pretty severe injuries given a chance,

Back
Top Bottom