Severe limping in duck after bumblefoot is almost healed

MOgle84

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2020
I have a large 7 month old female Aylesbury who had a minor case of bumblefoot on her right foot. I treated it with Vetericyn vf plus and it has pretty much healed. There is no swelling, the scab is almost gone, both legs are the same temperature and not alarming warm. She was limping slightly before and during treatment. She has been isolated in a small play yard during the day to limit movement but to allow her to get fresh air and sunshine. At night she is kept in a medium sized dog crate on fresh pine shavings. Now that the bumblefoot is almost gone, she can barely walk. Her limp is severe and she cannot bear weight on the right foot. She still has a very healthy appetite and drinks like normal, neither were affected by the bumblefoot. She is alert and desperately wants to be active. We do not have any poultry vets in our area so I am limited on professional treatment. Any suggestions on why the limp would be getting worse, or what I can do to help her feel better?

Pictures of the core would be helpful, as well as a video, of the duck at least trying to walk.

Could you answer a few questions? In the long-run, it will help us, help you and the bird more efficiently.

What is she being fed? Do both joints on her leg bend properly? Do you notice any discoloration, swelling, or any differences between her good foot, and bad? Is she eating, and drinking well? How do her poops look? Does she seem in good spirits, or is she acting a bit lethargic? Would you mind posting a few pictures of what you're keeping her in?

Pictures of the core would be helpful, as well as a video, of the duck at least trying to walk.

Could you answer a few questions? In the long-run, it will help us, help you and the bird more efficiently.

What is she being fed? Do both joints on her leg bend properly? Do you notice any discoloration, swelling, or any differences between her good foot, and bad? Is she eating, and drinking well? How do her poops look? Does she seem in good spirits, or is she acting a bit lethargic? Would you mind posting a few pictures of what you're keeping her in?

HI, I will attempt to attach pictures and video this afternoon when I get home. She is being fed Purina Complete Duck Pellets. She has a very healthy appetite and is drinking well. None of that had changed. Her poops are watery, they have always been, and have not changed with the bumblefoot. She is in very good spirits, acting like her normal, sassy, self. Both leg joints bend properly, there are no differences between the good foot and the bad foot. No swelling, no discoloration, no reaction to touch or it being moved. She has full range of motion. Both legs are the same temperature to the touch. Thank you for your time!

HI, I will attempt to attach pictures and video this afternoon when I get home. She is being fed Purina Complete Duck Pellets. She has a very healthy appetite and is drinking well. None of that had changed. Her poops are watery, they have always been, and have not changed with the bumblefoot. She is in very good spirits, acting like her normal, sassy, self. Both leg joints bend properly, there are no differences between the good foot and the bad foot. No swelling, no discoloration, no reaction to touch or it being moved. She has full range of motion. Both legs are the same temperature to the touch. Thank you for your time!

Did you ever get a video, and a few pictures of her foot?

Did you ever get a video, and a few pictures of her foot?
Here is a video of her walking, a picture of her foot and what she's in at night.
20201015_182736.jpg
20201015_182429.jpg

While it may not be the sole cause of her problem, her right foot is slightly pointed inwards which is causing her to trip over her feet almost when she walks. That can be due to an injury of sorts, but with her breed, a deficiency in niacin would be more likely. I would suggest starting the treatment in this thread, and letting us know if you see any improvement. Since she is older, and that it might be nutritionally related, it may take more than a few weeks for her legs to move back into their normal position.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Considering, that it could be injury-related, you could try soaking her feet in Epsom salt water a few times a week. if you think pain is a concern, you can give an NSAID like Ibuprofen, or aspirin. The dose for Asprin is one 325mg tablet in 250ml of water. The dosage for Ibuprofen is 5-10mg/kg two-three times a day. Or if using the liquid ( 100mg per five ML/ 20mg per ml) you can administer 0.11ml per pound of bodyweight. These drugs are labeled for humans, and while they have been used in birds, long-term effects are still unknown, but it does seem if given for longer than two weeks, they may cause GI tract upset. NSAID's directly interfere with the birds pain receptors, subsequently making them feel less pain. This is good, but also bad, because the bird may walk on the leg too soon, and reinjured the leg. So if you do administer the NSAID, it may be best to set in her a pen where she can't reinjure her leg as easily, if it is part of her problem.

Keep us posted on her condition.

While it may not be the sole cause of her problem, her right foot is slightly pointed inwards which is causing her to trip over her feet almost when she walks. That can be due to an injury of sorts, but with her breed, a deficiency in niacin would be more likely. I would suggest starting the treatment in this thread, and letting us know if you see any improvement. Since she is older, and that it might be nutritionally related, it may take more than a few weeks for her legs to move back into their normal position.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Considering, that it could be injury-related, you could try soaking her feet in Epsom salt water a few times a week. if you think pain is a concern, you can give an NSAID like Ibuprofen, or aspirin. The dose for Asprin is one 325mg tablet in 250ml of water. The dosage for Ibuprofen is 5-10mg/kg two-three times a day. Or if using the liquid ( 100mg per five ML/ 20mg per ml) you can administer 0.11ml per pound of bodyweight. These drugs are labeled for humans, and while they have been used in birds, long-term effects are still unknown, but it does seem if given for longer than two weeks, they may cause GI tract upset. NSAID's directly interfere with the birds pain receptors, subsequently making them feel less pain. This is good, but also bad, because the bird may walk on the leg too soon, and reinjured the leg. So if you do administer the NSAID, it may be best to set in her a pen where she can't reinjure her leg as easily, if it is part of her problem.

Keep us posted on her condition.
Thank you so much for the quick response and information! I will start soaking her foot again in epsom salt, and begin a nutritional yeast supplement. I don't believe that she is in pain, or at least does not appear to be, seeing that she wants to be active and does not slow down if I let her out of her small enclosure when outside. To avoid any further problems I'll continue to keep her confined to the enclosure when outside. Again, I greatly appreciate the insight and advice. I will definitely keep you posted on her condition and progress!

Thank you so much for the quick response and information! I will start soaking her foot again in epsom salt, and begin a nutritional yeast supplement. I don't believe that she is in pain, or at least does not appear to be, seeing that she wants to be active and does not slow down if I let her out of her small enclosure when outside. To avoid any further problems I'll continue to keep her confined to the enclosure when outside. Again, I greatly appreciate the insight and advice. I will definitely keep you posted on her condition and progress!

You're very much welcome, glad I could be of help.

Back
Top Bottom