Severe Pasty Butt w/ Blisters

VirulentVulpine

Songster
Aug 4, 2019
I purchased this silkie chick from Tractor Supply today because of the condition it’s in. Most of the chicks were sick looking in their new brooders— I know it’s not good to buy animals in stores that are kept this way, as it only supports the business, but I gave in. But I digress.

The chick had horrible pasty butt that I soaked off and gently removed with warm water. It smelled absolutely rancid 🤢
It seems like there’s a possible infection. The cloaca is leaking clear liquid that smells foul, and her bottom is covered in what I would guess are blisters. The chick doesn’t seem to be in pain and is very active though.

What should I do to help this little girl? Can I apply something to her bottom?

Attachments

• 8E583A39-A5BC-4951-B1AE-842E8217E989.jpeg
    8E583A39-A5BC-4951-B1AE-842E8217E989.jpeg
    439.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 1D49BFE9-89E6-4B7C-940C-8A051FF967AD.jpeg
    1D49BFE9-89E6-4B7C-940C-8A051FF967AD.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 18
That may be the worst pasty butt I've seen..poor thing. 🙁 Thank you for trying to help her. ❤️

I wonder if the feces may have "burned" her vent..? If you have wound healing sprays like Vetericyn AF, or antibiotic ointment without pain relief, I'd slather it on to try to facilitate healing. If you have coconut oil, that may help, too.

Wishing your chick a speedy recovery! 🤞

Thank you all for the advice. I massaged his abdomen and cloaca like in that video, and she did in fact have some impaction in there. She’s doing fine today after drying off.

Here is a video of what this one guy did for severe pasty butt like yours. It's a very delicate procedure, so a lot of things could go wrong. But if you do nothing, she'll die. So it's really up to you. Good luck!

I consider this video rather dangerous advice. There is no need to use scissors if you just hold its butt under the warm water tap to dissolve the impaction.
This soaking might take some time but it does not hurt the chick like the pulling and poking shown in the video.

And there is no need to hold the chick upside down for the massage, as it might aspirate while being hold this way

Soaking just the vent and legs in a small bowl of soapy warm water, might speed up the process. I would agree that scissors seem a bit risky to use. Then applying some mild ointment to the vent area would help. I hope that your chick gets better.

Yea, the scissors bit was unnecessary, but you said that you'd already soaked her butt off and were worried about the swelling in her abdomen, so I was wasn't concerned. The video was just meant a reference on how to get the plugging out. Glad she's okay!

Ok.
I had this same prob with a chick i got at TSC too.

You have to act fast!

Get some collidal silver (sold on amazon) and spray her infected area every hour. That will heal all infection and inflamation.
Keep her in a quiet dark room. (the whole idea is to let her be in peace)
Give her electrolytes.
Don't hold her unless you have to.
Keep other chicks from bothering her.
Keep her brooder not-to-hot.

Pasty butt is stress (like a loud store, crowded inviroment, ect) and can kill a chick if not properly ( and quickly) cared for. I am wishing you luck!

Back
Top Bottom