1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Severe Pasty Butt??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lydiaholmes, Apr 27, 2017.

1. lydiaholmes

lydiaholmes Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2016
    I'm currently raising two 3-week old barnevelder chicks and two 2-week old ameraucana chicks. They get along fine, they're all eating a healthy amount and everything. Yesterday I noticed one of my ameraucanas had wet poop stuck to her butt, so I got a paper towel to clean her off and didn't think about it too much. Today when I checked on my chicks (24 hours later, I didn't notice when I checked them in the morning), she had a huge ball of dark, dried droppings caked onto her vent (about the size of the top of your thumb). I soaked her behind in warm water to loosen it and tried removing it, but only about half of it came off. Any idea what's wrong?? I'm very worried.

2. ChellesChickens

ChellesChickens Just Hatched

Apr 4, 2017
    Hello I am a newbie as well and just wanted to share what I have read and what I am doing that seems to be clearing it up. I have week old chicks and some of them have developed pasty butt. I have been grinding up oatmeal (not quick cook) and putting it with their food. Also I read that if you put vaseline on their booty then it is easier to wipe the poop off of them, somewhere I also read that it could be brooder temp that is causing pasty butt, I could be remembering wrong. Anyway I hope some of this helps!!

I wanted to add that I have been using Q-tips and lots of patience to clean the dried poop off of them. It takes a little longe, but it works.... also they love the blow dryer set on the coolest setting!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  3. JackNH

JackNH Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    New Hampshire
    I used warm water and a Q-Tip and rubbed the area until everything loosened up. Then I grabbed with my fingers and it slid right off. Although they hate it, a few feathers off the butt is better than being dead.

4. lydiaholmes

lydiaholmes Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2016
    Thank you! I will try this, all this info helps a ton.

5. adstowe

adstowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Colorado
    I've always just held their butts under warm running water and worked the stuff out between my fingers.

6. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I soaked their butts under the tap and wiped with a cloth. I used cocunut oil on their butts or polysporin if it was really red and sore.

Check them as often as you can .... each time they poop it could plug.

I Give them chick grit and medicated feed from day one.

My favourites have always been my pasty butts ... they become really attached[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by