Severe Pasty Butt??

lydiaholmes

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2016
I'm currently raising two 3-week old barnevelder chicks and two 2-week old ameraucana chicks. They get along fine, they're all eating a healthy amount and everything. Yesterday I noticed one of my ameraucanas had wet poop stuck to her butt, so I got a paper towel to clean her off and didn't think about it too much. Today when I checked on my chicks (24 hours later, I didn't notice when I checked them in the morning), she had a huge ball of dark, dried droppings caked onto her vent (about the size of the top of your thumb). I soaked her behind in warm water to loosen it and tried removing it, but only about half of it came off. Any idea what's wrong?? I'm very worried.

Hello I am a newbie as well and just wanted to share what I have read and what I am doing that seems to be clearing it up. I have week old chicks and some of them have developed pasty butt. I have been grinding up oatmeal (not quick cook) and putting it with their food. Also I read that if you put vaseline on their booty then it is easier to wipe the poop off of them, somewhere I also read that it could be brooder temp that is causing pasty butt, I could be remembering wrong. Anyway I hope some of this helps!!

I wanted to add that I have been using Q-tips and lots of patience to clean the dried poop off of them. It takes a little longe, but it works.... also they love the blow dryer set on the coolest setting!

Last edited:
I used warm water and a Q-Tip and rubbed the area until everything loosened up. Then I grabbed with my fingers and it slid right off. Although they hate it, a few feathers off the butt is better than being dead.

I soaked their butts under the tap and wiped with a cloth. I used cocunut oil on their butts or polysporin if it was really red and sore.

Check them as often as you can .... each time they poop it could plug.

I Give them chick grit and medicated feed from day one.

My favourites have always been my pasty butts ... they become really attached
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom