Severe skin lesion . What could it be? Please help.

CaliValleyChick

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
Hello all I'm New to BYC and I joined just to get help with this issue. I have a barred rock named Dora. She is kept with a rooster and another hen. Today I picked her up to move her out of the pen and I found this huge mess on her back. I'm new to the chicken world so I have no idea what this could be. She no longer had skin on that part. That is all meat. The only reason why we never thought something was wrong with her is because she eats and acts completely normal. She is the only one with this. The other two are completely fine. I did a full body inspection. Any advice is totally appreciated. I have attached some pictures but be warned they are graphic.
[/IMG]

images

This sore is on her back? Sounds like a sore from where the rooster is mounting her. You should keep more hens with one rooster as they can over mate them. You can get a hen saddle for her to protect her back. Get one for the other hen as well. Here is a link to a place that sells hen saddles.....

http://www.hensaver.com/

For now, I would not allow the rooster to mount her until it heals. Spray some blu-kote on her wound so it does not infect and the other hen does not pick at it. The rooster must favor her over the other hen if her back does not have a sore.

Good luck and enjoy your flock!!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you good advice about treating your hen and separating the roo, that looks like rooster damage... long term you are probably going to need more hens, or keep the roo separate from the girls most of the time.

Hi and welcome! Like TwoCrows said pick up some Blu-Kote. It is a bit messier but I would suggest the bottle with the dauber the spray can startle chickens and you will end up with blue everywhere but on the wound. Just wear gloves when you use it either way or you will look like a blue pen exploded everywhere!

The usual rational is one rooster to 10 hens, so you can see your boy is overbreeding the poor hen.

IF you don't intend to hatch chicks, you do not need a rooster. Hens will lay eggs without him.

Rehoming him would end your problem.

Good thing we are going to be building a new pen for them. I will make sure the rooster has his own space, so he isn't able to get to the hens.

Welcome to BYC. I agree with the others - that appears to be damage that occurred when the rooster was breeding her. Chickens have great recuperative abilities from such wounds. She and the other hen should be kept away from the rooster to avoid further damage.

Back
Top Bottom