Severe Storms and Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Roy Rooster, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi All,

We had some severe storms expected for our area tonight. About 30 minutes before
    it got here I put the chickens in the coop and locked them up for the night. They normally
    go to bed at about 5pm I put them in at around 430pm. Large hail was expected and strong
    winds so I did not want them to get hurt in the storms.

My question is, does anyone else do this? Did I do the right thing or should I have just let them stay out.

Another side note, I really did not want to have to go and lock the chickens up in the pouring rain
    and hail so I did it before it came.

Just wondering what others do when severe weather is in the forecast.

Thanks

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would do the same thing you did. If it's raining in the morning, when I normally let them out, and it's raining very very hard, I don't let them out. As long as they have food and water, they're fine.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    If the storms are severe my chickens that freerange during the day get put up. But the ones that have runs attached to their coops I let them go in if they want to.

4. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, mine wont go out on their own if there is a big storm, so Yes, you did the right thing!!!!! You know they dont like getting wet on the feathers, but they will tromp thru wet ground, so I wait until the rain/hail/snow stops to let them out......

I will also leave the coop door open so they have a choice........

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  5. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I think you did the right thing. We had severe weather here today - rain and wind - and I opened the coop doors to the runs on all three hen houses but the chickens stayed inside or under the covered portion of their runs all day, except for a brief period of clearing in which I opened the doors to the great outdoors and let them free-range. Awhile ago the wind really picked up and I ran out to herd the chickens in and lock the coops early but they were all already snug and safe inside, all 50+ of them!

6. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Okay, I am glad that I did the right thing, I hated to lock them up before they would on their own but I figured
    that with the severe storms coming it was the best thing to do. They were a little mad at me but they will just have
    to be mad.

Thanks again. I appreciate your input, I feel a little better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by