Severe wound on back

ltrout

Hatching
Feb 13, 2015
One of our girls got pecked by two other ones and now she has a HOLE on her back. Her lung is visible in a small portion. She is eating and drinking. We put vitamins from when they were young, so we added that to her water. Going to get broad spectrum oral antibiotic for her water as well. What do I do with the wound? It looks red and healthy, and she doesn't appear to be in pain. She is eating and drinking fine. And, probably happy in the dog cage in the basement since it is 0 outside tonight. Any advice would be appreciated.

Why would they do this? These chickens have been together since they were days old, and they have never done anything like this before.

Thanks!

Chickens will do some strange things one time I had a chicken that got attacked by a dog and had about a 2 inch dee wound about as big as a football. She was trying to eat herself and we put Blu-Kote on her. It make it purple because chickens will eat anything red and make it worse. If the chicken that did that to her got mad at her it may of caused it I have some that do that sometimes but it's usually not as severe. I'm not sure if you have a rooster or not but they could have been fighting over him. Hope this helps;)

Happy to say Cadbury is on her way to healing. We went to Tractor Supply and got antibiotics you mix with water, and put antibiotic cream on the wound twice a day. Rinsed it first with spray normal saline. It is amazing how fast she is healing!

Back
Top Bottom