Severe wry neck/swollen head- Photos added.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Squishypuff, Jun 3, 2011.

1. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Thank you so much for responding so quickly with your very detailed regime'. Could you reccommend where I might get prednisone? I might have some that I was perscribed.....not certain that I should use it though.

2. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    It's not mine, I found it on here actually. It works amazingly well from what I am seeing.

The Prednisone is exactly the same as humans would take. You want the 5mg tablets, because your dose will be the 2.5mg twice a day for adult birds, or the dose I'm using, which is half of that. My small animal vet refused to see the chicken or prescribe, but my horse vet had no problem with it. Even if you can't get the Prednisone, try the vitamins- they'll help on their own as well. I was very pleased with how cheap it is to treat wry neck. $4 for the Prednisone, and the Vit B and E and Selenium were all on clearance at Walmart for $2 a bottle!

Twisty looks great today, despite being covered in sticky mess of the medicine. He flails, I get the meds all over us both. The man needs a bath!

3. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I finally got pics uploaded. Here is Twisty on day one, which I believe was Saturday. He could not get out of this position and could only walk by dragging his head and neck along the ground. He could not eat or drink because he had no use of his neck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few days later, spending a short time out of the sick pen to free range with brothers and sisters. He's the one toward the left with his head down, slightly tilted.

[​IMG]

And here he is last night after he got his PM meds.

[​IMG]

4. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Bless his little heart... glad he is doing so well.

5. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I'm kind of nervous waiting on a setback. I hope it doesn't come. I hope this little stinker turns out to be a hen too. I'm so attached now, he'll stay either way, but a hen would be easier!

6. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Songster

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    That is just incredible. Who would have thought seriously that in just a few days, you would see such improvement! Great job to you for acting fast. [​IMG]

7. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    That's what's got me shocked. When I found him all curled up like that in the corner of the coop, I pretty much took one look and started thinking about how best to cull him. Thank god for BYC, I searched for Wry Neck and found so much information. This forum is incredible.

8. mshuey1

mshuey1 Songster

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
    Congrats for all you've done for your baby. Am so glad she/he is doing better I can't amgine for that poor baby was feeling am sure he/she is glad to have a mommie like you. Not everyone has the time or paitence to care for a little one. Thanks for keeping us up dated.

9. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Wow! Amazing!! That is great he is doing so well! Love the name too! [​IMG] It looks like I am not the only one to name for conditions! I have a crossbeak silkie name "Kriss Kross" [​IMG]

10. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    It's encouraging to see your baby doing well! I couldn't find the E w/Selenium at Walmart here in Michigan. I did find some at a local Vitamin & Supplement store. Nearly $15 for a bottle, yikes! At least if my little darling doesn't pull through, I guess I can take the vitamins myself. Morbid thought. So far Weeble is breathing and swallowing well. Wish I could find a place to get her/him out of the heat....it looks really hard to pant upside down.

Did you have to hand feed? What food regimine did you use?

And do you know what the additional B vitamin does? Can I forego the B complex if I am using electrolytes? Does it do harm to be feeding both?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: