You might want to try her in a chicken sling where she is suspended and she will be off the leg until it heals. Broken bones can take several weeks to form a hard callus or thickening in the juncture of the bones. I know very little about turkeys or splinting broken bones, but here is a good link on splinting bones, a diagram of bones, and information on how long it can take to heal:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Here is a good link on pictures of homemade slings and chairs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
thank you I will have a look. So far I have just been winging it,successfully by some miricle lol. No pun intended....well maybe a little

Last edited:
You might want to try her in a chicken sling where she is suspended and she will be off the leg until it heals. Broken bones can take several weeks to form a hard callus or thickening in the juncture of the bones. I know very little about turkeys or splinting broken bones, but here is a good link on splinting bones, a diagram of bones, and information on how long it can take to heal:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Here is a good link on pictures of homemade slings and chairs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Thats a lot of good info I appreciate it

They also pulled all the hair off her head and now the poor girl looks like a buzzard! I hope she gets better soon as possible.
That's exactly what I have been saying.
Shes not pretty. She was all feather and bones too. But she we tfrom no appetite to now a ferocious eater. She hisses at me and bites me as I feed her by hand. But she calms down after a couple minutes and enjoys the good foods she gets from me while healing.

Her snood looks terrible too. All tiny black and dry.

Yeah, I always do that to my chickens and my ducks:)
All id mine has turned out successful, hope your turkey does too!!
Thank you, we shall see.
I recently also noticed that her good foot appears to have crooked toes and maybe twisted leg. Not sure if that is part of the original problem and how she broke her leg to begin with.
Long road ahead for me it looks like.

Thank you, we shall see.
I recently also noticed that her good foot appears to have crooked toes and maybe twisted leg. Not sure if that is part of the original problem and how she broke her leg to begin with.
Long road ahead for me it looks like.
Was her toes like that before she got injured?
I’m not blaming if you don’t look at that.
It’s just sometimes poultry has this thing where there toes are all crooked, it’s completely fine, it’s just a “deformity” it won’t harm the chicken/turkey.

When splinting a bone, if the fracture is not reduced with good placement of bones, the fractured bone can heal crooked. Most of us cannot afford vets and xrays for poultry, but that is the best way to deal with a fracture. There can be nerve damage and complications with open fractures as well. You are to be commended for trying to save this turkey. Will she be a pet in the future? I agree that she might have had crooked toes before, or it could have ocurred with the fracture. Giving her a 1/2 of a crushed B complex tablet could help if it is riboflavin deficiency, and can help her overall.

Thats how I feel also.
Its not my bird. Its the landlords bird technically. They had no interest in spending money to fix her,which I fully understand. I live on a ranch but technically the lease states no birds... I saved a chick from this year's hatchlings. She is now nearly 3 months old.
So I have to be candid with the turkey. The husband of the rancher is tje bird guy here.
He told me that I can try nursing her back to health. So they know I am caring for her. I just get a bit paranoid and worry sometimes that out of the blue thwy are going to come down on me and tell me she needs to go back out on the ranch.
It would help if their house wasnt basically onthe other side of our backyard fence on a hill. So they can see in to the yard e ery day lol.
We have a fairly good relationship though. So Im just going to pray for grace ans good healing :)
You are a good tenant. Truly!!

Because the landlord/turkey's owner already gave you permission, I would try not to sweat the situation, though. Just take it one day at a time... if there is an issue, it's the landlord's responsibility to approach you respectfully at this point. I don't see how stressing over it can or will change anything. I don't think you are pushing your luck or anything like that. And for sure don't be in a hurry to kick the turkey back in with her flock sooner than you feel is right because of a nonexistent landlord issue!

Back
Top Bottom