Severely Gurgling Hen

nataliegrinks

Songster
6 Years
Feb 10, 2017
I have a 5-6 year old RIR hen that started gurgling yesterday. She’s had sour crop a couple times in the past year but, her crop is empty.
Her throat, nose and eyes are clear. She’s a little pale but not terrible.
I’ve had my share respiratory issues with some of my girls and it’s starting to seem different. I gave her an injection of LA-200 last night. Considerably worse this morning. Swabbed for gape worm but, didn’t see anything. Gave her safeguard anyway to be sure. She is in quarantine with a cool mist humidifier with oxine. She doesn’t seem to be eating or drinking but, just since late yesterday-ish. I’ve never heard such a rough gurgle before. Sounds like fluid in her lungs. Does anyone have any other ideas? Congestive heart failure?
I want to do everything I can to help. Please let me know if you have any ideas or had a similar situation. Thanks!

Gurgling with an empty crop sounds like she has mucus in her throat, probably from a respiratory disease, such as MG, infectious bronchitis, ILT, or others. The LA200 might help if it is MG. How much are you giving? I would make sure that she is drinking enough, and there is good ventilation with clean dry bedding.

She is in her own chicken coop. We just cleaned it and put fresh bedding in for her. I gave her 1mg of LA-200 injectable. That’s pretty much the only antibiotics I can get anymore since they took Tylan 50 away. Oxine I’ve used before too. I’ve just never had a girl that didn’t have any other symptoms before.Thanks. Any other ideas of what to give her?

She is getting up there in years. Does she have an enlarged lower belly that could have fluid inside? Does she lay eggs anymore? Heart failure might also cause some rales or gurgles. I would just keep giving the oxytetracycline. Tylan is gone, as most antibiotics are, even online.

Thank you. She is up there for sure. She does not have a swollen belly and she does not lay anymore. Since this came on rather suddenly I had the same thought about heart failure. It’s unfortunate for those of us that need antibiotics for our chickens that the good stuff is gone. I’ll keep giving her good stuff to eat, using the humidifier and LA-200 and see what happens. If it gets any worse we may have to say our goodbyes.

Thank you!
Update: So far today she is NOT gurgling!! I’m still not sure what’s going on so I’m going to keep her in quarantine for a few more days. Deworm again in 3 days and a second injection of antibiotics. Keep your fingers crossed! So weird. It was SO bad.

Back
Top Bottom