Severely injured chick from fox attack, then pecked by flock

Me, too. I feel like such a fool for leaving her with the flock today. She was doing so good yesterday and even made it through the night! 🙁 Lesson learned. Thanks for the suggestion, looks like I'll be looking for an antibiotic as a backup, but my hope is I can keep it clean and prevent infection. 🤞🏻
Another thing you can do is make a salt rinse. Water mixed with a little salt in a bottle. Pour a tiny bit on each day then carefully rinse it off after a few moments.

Is she drinking on her own? You can also get baby bird food at most pet stores, it mixes with water. Then you can try hand feeding her with that. Or make a thick mash with her chick food mixing it with water, try hand feeding small bits of that. Experiment with how thick or thin to make it, whichever she prefers. Thinner might be easier for her now. Hydration is more important at first, you don't want her to be dehydrated. If she won't eat today, try again tomorrow.

Is she drinking on her own? You can also get baby bird food at most pet stores, it mixes with water. Then you can try hand feeding her with that. Or make a thick mash with her chick food mixing it with water, try hand feeding small bits of that. Experiment with how thick or thin to make it, whichever she prefers. Thinner might be easier for her now. Hydration is more important at first, you don't want her to be dehydrated. If she won't eat today, try again tomorrow.
She was drinking on her own yesterday, but I think it might hurt too much to bend down to the water bowl today. I have given her 3ml of electrolyte/molasses water about 3x today. Just finished with my last 1x1 time with her and even got her to eat a few meal worms - score! She even pooped while I was taking care of her! She's awfully exhausted, so I just spent that time with her, then put her back in her box. I give her water via syringe every 1 to 2 hours. Since she was interested in the meal worms this time, I'm just going to keep offering it to her every time we do a water break. I don't think she's interested in giving up, I hope not, anyway. 🤞🏻

Too much molasses can cause diarrhea so caution with that. If you have poultry nutridrench, you can give that for a few days, same caution, more than a few days might cause diarrhea also, but it's rapidly absorbed and can give them a boost. Might help with appetite also. You can raise her food and water up on some blocks or something, make it chest height so she doesn't have to bend. Hope she pulls through.

Too much molasses can cause diarrhea so caution with that. If you have poultry nutridrench, you can give that for a few days, same caution, more than a few days might cause diarrhea also, but it's rapidly absorbed and can give them a boost. Might help with appetite also. You can raise her food and water up on some blocks or something, make it chest height so she doesn't have to bend. Hope she pulls through.
Thank you for the heads up. I didn't put much molasses in the water, just enough to tint the color of the water. Unfortunately, I only have goat nutridrench, that's why I did the molasses. I only have about 1-2 cups of molasses/electrolyte water made, and once she's done with that, I'm going to put her back on regular water. I've been trying to find what I can use to raise the food and water, just haven't found it yet.

Chick is still alive. I have continued to clean wound with Hibiclens daily, but it dries up pretty quickly. Unfortunately, the only antibiotic ointment I have has a pain reliever in it, so I haven't used that. I live in a very rural area, so availability to things is not very easy. I feel like it's fairly important to probably keep the wound moist to hopefully allow the skin to grow back in, but I'm struggling with options. Before I make the 45 minute drive to TSC, any suggestions on what I should use to hopefully keep the wound moist? Or should I just mist it several times a day with sterile water/saline? What is everyone else's thoughts on this situation?

Chick is still alive. I have continued to clean wound with Hibiclens daily, but it dries up pretty quickly. Unfortunately, the only antibiotic ointment I have has a pain reliever in it, so I haven't used that. I live in a very rural area, so availability to things is not very easy. I feel like it's fairly important to probably keep the wound moist to hopefully allow the skin to grow back in, but I'm struggling with options. Before I make the 45 minute drive to TSC, any suggestions on what I should use to hopefully keep the wound moist? Or should I just mist it several times a day with sterile water/saline? What is everyone else's thoughts on this situation?
Sugar water can help with healing. I used it on my scalped quail. His whole back of his neck and much of his head was scalped. Did a salt water rinse first, then rinsed that off, then sugar water, and then blukote. But the one I find that helps keep wounds moist is actually vetrycin

Back
Top Bottom