Severely pecked 18 weeker....

scrapmom5

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
Utah
She was found today trying to hide from the 25 weekers. The bump on the tip of the tail is really bad. She has no feathers left and a very raw spot the size of the half dollar. When I picked her up she cuddled right into me. I offered her food and she quickly ate it up and drank quite well. I have cleaned the wound, put polysporin on it and put her in a cage in the hen house. I have also put her on preventative antibiotics to ward of infection.

Have I done the right thing? I have done a search and have gotten contradictory advise. I want our little Dot (barred rock) to do well.

I was planning on reintroducing her to the flock when she has completely healed...how do I go about doing this??? I don't want a repeat. She is part of a flock that I have just introduced to the older girls. One group is 9 hens the other is 10 hens and they have been together for 1 week. The younger hens never leave the hen house and when they do go into the run is when we have the pecking issue. Dot was found in the run trying to hide in a corner. Should I just take the 9 younger ones back out and wait a little while longer? What can I do to help them play nice? My BO and Polish are the bullies in this situation and I am not sure what to do with them.

I hope someone can help.

Do you have a hen who is nicer than the rest? You might try penning the two together (making sure the little one doesn't get pecked). They may bond somewhat and when you reintroduce them, the smaller one will have a hen to hang out with and be less liable to get picked on as much.

*edited to fix apalling spelling errors made when I was posting still asleep. :eek: *

Last edited:
Quote:
I like that idea and will need to try it.

My method is to use VetRX or Vicks Vapor Rub. Put some on the pecked areas.
The chickens HATE the taste and should stop pecking.

I have 3 8 week old baby banties, I took one of my most friendly hens ( americauna ) and put her with the babes last week, they have there own separate pen.

She I think, keeps an eye on them and is teaching them social skills for when they go in the big house in a few more weeks.

This is the first time I have done this and so far it's working well.

Last edited:
You are also more likely to have better luck mixing ages once they have grown to similar size. The age difference doesn't matter so much then. The method of placing her with a gentle hen is great, and can really work if you choose wisely.

Also - - sounds like you have already taken good, proactive steps to take care of her immediate needs. The only thing I would do now is check to make sure the penicillin administered is appropriate for wound infections, so you're not wasting meds.

Good luck! Please keep us posted on how she does.

Good Morning scrapmom5 -

You have done right by seperating the injured girl from the rest.

I had the same problem with my 4 wk olds and 14 wk olds. I thought the issue was with the older girls plucking the butt feathers of our 1 girl, but it turned out the other 4 wk olds where doing the pecking.

Like you, I cleaned the wound (about the same size and bloody), put niosporine (sp?) and put her in the hospital house cage.

We waited to introduce her back to the flock until all the signs of the wound was healed and feathers started growing back. It took about 7 days.

I waited until Saturday morning to reintroduce her to the rest of the flock. She seemed to fall back into place and I have not had any more problems with the girls picking on each other.

I would recommend waiting until the wound is completely healed and feathers are growing back until you put her back in the coop/run.

Although my girls tail feathers are growing back a little lopsided, she doesn't appear to be any worse for wear.

Good luck and hope my story helps you with you situation.

Hey thanks guys...I just went to check on Dot and she seems ok. Her raw spot is no longer red and healing. I let her and the other 8 her same age out to play in the yard and kept the older girls locked up for the time being. She went right to work on eating more of my tomatoes. My little BLRW and a splash mystery bird were keeping her company. The BLRW were sleeping right next to her cage while the splash was cooing at her. It was so sweet. Odd thing is I thought that the splash was a rooster...she did another hen squat this morning...Maybe she is a she???

Thanks again for the help.

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom