Sevin Dust Application

Farmgirl1878

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 17, 2017
Piketon, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
My girls have a mild infestation of mites. I have the dust and use an infant nasal aspirator to poof the dust around their vents and the backs of their necks. There’s got to be a better way! The aspirator doesn’t suck up much powder and can’t be opened. Any suggestions would be welcome.

And yes, I will be treating everyone and the coop with Elector PSP in the spring. It’s too cold right now to have the girls running around with wet fannies all night.

IMG_5395.jpeg

IMG_5396.jpeg

That product is permethrin, which is approved for poultry, and not the same as Sevin (which is no longer approved for poultry.) Many people put it inside a sock to apply the dust. I also have sprinkled it on and rubbed it in, but the sock method sounds easier.

That product is permethrin, which is approved for poultry, and not the same as Sevin (which is no longer approved for poultry.) Many people put it inside a sock to apply the dust. I also have sprinkled it on and rubbed it in, but the sock method sounds easier.
Hi. I applied poultry dust to all my hens yesterday to treat them for mites. When do I need to reapply? I don’t think it’s only a one time dosage, right?

Hi. I applied poultry dust to all my hens yesterday to treat them for mites. When do I need to reapply? I don’t think it’s only a one time dosage, right?
Mites should be treated again after 7 days. Then in 7 days, check again to see if there are any items seen. Permethrin only kills lice lice and mites, not the eggs. Mites hatch every 5-7 days, so if you treat every 7 days until none are seen, that will get them. Treat your coop, nests, and roosts, and clean out your bedding.

Mites should be treated again after 7 days. Then in 7 days, check again to see if there are any items seen. Permethrin only kills lice lice and mites, not the eggs. Mites hatch every 5-7 days, so if you treat every 7 days until none are seen, that will get them. Treat your coop, nests, and roosts, and clean out your bedding.
Thank you. What does treating the coop entail? Do I put the poultry dust in the new bedding? Or does it mean treating with Elector PSP?

To treat the coop, all bedding is taken out far away or burned, and the empty coop and nests are treated with Permethrin 10 spray or Elector PSP. New bedding is then brought in. Be sure to treat roosts and nests.

To treat the coop, all bedding is taken out far away or burned, and the empty coop and nests are treated with Permethrin 10 spray or Elector PSP. New bedding is then brought in. Be sure to treat roosts and nests.
Thank you so much! One last question, how do I delete a post? You answered all my questions but I had also created a post….

Back
Top Bottom