Non emergency, sulfur recs?

Apr 6, 2024
Hi, I'm having some issues with mites(most likely red poultry mites but I'm honestly not positive), in particular on a couple of my girls who are convalescing right now and can't dust bathe on their own. I was wondering what brands of sulfur dust are considered safe and where you usually get them.

I've seen mixed things about sevin, yellow jacket seems decent but it doesn't seem to be available a lot of places online at least, the other one I was looking at was Greenway biotech but I was hoping for some input.

I don't want to use permethrin because a couple of my girls are inside right now and I have cats so I just don't want to risk it. I'm also considering elector psp but that seems like it's also not widely available.

Welcome to BYC. Amazon sells the sulfur powder for use in dusting or dust bathes. Elector PSP is available online from several places, but is very expensive. Mites can cause anemia and death in chickens, so I be treating right away. I use permethrin garden dust and permethrin spray, which is safe when dry. The bedding should be emptied, and the coop or facilities, nests, and roosts should be sprayed as well. Here is some reading about sulfur:
https://entomologytoday.org/2016/07/18/battling-chicken-mites-with-bags-of-brimstone/

Welcome to BYC. Amazon sells the sulfur powder for use in dusting or dust bathes. Elector PSP is available online from several places, but is very expensive. Mites can cause anemia and death in chickens, so I be treating right away. I use permethrin garden dust and permethrin spray, which is safe when dry. The bedding should be emptied, and the coop or facilities, nests, and roosts should be sprayed as well. Here is some reading about sulfur:
https://entomologytoday.org/2016/07/18/battling-chicken-mites-with-bags-of-brimstone/
Is there a specific brand of sulfur that's better? I don't want to accidentally use something toxic, I know sevin used to be recommended but I keep seeing people saying it's not anymore. I would rather not use permethrin/pyrethrin. Where is the best place to get elector? The main place I saw was valley vet supply, I've never gotten anything from them, are they good?

Valley Vet is a very well known online seller. I would get it where it is the best price. Sulfur is sold here in 10 pound bags, and the same brand in 1 pound bags on Amazon for nearly the same price, but the shipping may be a lot on this one for 10 pounds:
https://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_i...q99CGE2b-oR1EdhaNnmsNl7zom7-hHL4aAnysEALw_wcB

Many old fashioned feed stores, such as Southern States, sell sulfur for your garden, and that might be a good choice.

Personally, I would use permethrin dust or spray. The spray can easily be used to treat coops, nests, and roosts once all bedding is removed. The 10% permethrin concentrate from Martins or Gordon’s (available at Tractor Supply in 8 ounce and larger container) is mixed with water 5 ml per quart liter in a spray bottle or garden sprayer to kill mites. It lasts 30 days inside the coop. For the chicken, permethrin is use once and again in 7 days until all mites are gone. It works on the live mites, and the eggs can hatch every 5-7 days, so at least 2 treatments is required to end the lifecycle.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom