Sevin dust

kuntrychick

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Alabama
Do y'all use Sevin dust on your chickens? What strength?

I've read conflicting info...to sprinkle sevin on them & I've also read not to have any sevin dust powder anywhere in the bedding for them to peck at or possibly eat.

So, is sevin dust safe for chickens? Even what falls into their litter from treating them while on the roosts?

Do you use sevin dust only when they actually have lice or mites or even just in case they do?

Can you just sprinkle it on their back or something & they will get it spread around where it needs to go while preening and/or dustbathing? Or, do you sprinkle it on & rub it into their feathers?

It is what I do, I just walk in sprinkle it well all over and on them, they shake and it get's worked into their feathers and everywhere. They have never ever had any ill effects, no need to over think it or get freaked out if the huggers scare you into a non 7 dust treatment regimine. they should be fine no worries.

You are supposed to hold them upside down and get under their wings and feathers.. That's what I've been told.. It has worked very well. I find it a little harder to treat my two polish. I do rub it in. Depends on how much time you want to spend and how effective you want it to be. I would most definitely rub it in for better treatment.

some did get on my bedding, and the only thing I worried about was it affecting the eggs. I just washed them before I ate (the hens lay their eggs on the floor of my coop
roll.png
), and have had no problems.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering the same thing. The person I purchased my Doms from used it yet I have a neighbor that says it is poison and that I shouldnt use it.

Huggers...lol
gig.gif

Im having my wife pick upsome this afternoon and start sprinkling it.

It goes in the coop - correct? Any where else?

Quote:
You can treat them indivualy if you like and rubbing it into the vent and under the wing area is very good, as that is where the mites like to hang out. It just depends on what you want to do and if your birds don't have any to begin with, a light dusting is sufficient to keep them at bay.

If you are trying to stay as organic as possible you can make a dusting box for your birds by using DE, copper sulfurate and peat moss. DE does the same thing, without the poison. Second dust is harmful to many critters we need, like honey bees and hummingbirds. I stopped using it when I got birds and read about how harmful it is. Just my opinion.
Michele

Quote:
More misinformation. I do use DE but only as a maintenance program but not as an elimination. 7 dust works great compared to any so called Green Organic concoction that has very minimal results, sure it makes you think your saving the earth while your birds suffer through the reality curve.

I use to use 7 Dust (on the chicken and in the bedding) and never had an issue, but after doing some research on how bad the pesticide is, i would rather not take my chances.
It says on the back that it should not be used on animals, why do you think that is?
In the long run, i do not doubt it can cause some serious issues.
If its not safe for us, i don't know why it would be ok to use on them.

Now, I use a dust specifically for poultry and it works just as good AND it is safe and made for animals.

This is just my opinion.
Like i said, i never SAW any side effects...but i also don't want to wait around till something does finally happen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom