Sevin dust

What kind of dust do you use foxy?

Just wondering if anyone here has experienced negative affects from using Sevin Dust on their flocks? If so, please speak up.

Quote:
More misinformation. I do use DE but only as a maintenance program but not as an elimination. 7 dust works great compared to any so called Green Organic concoction that has very minimal results, sure it makes you think your saving the earth while your birds suffer through the reality curve.

harmful |ˈhärmfəl|
adjective
causing or likely to cause harm : shield the planet from harmful cosmic rays | sugars that can be harmful to the teeth.
DERIVATIVES
harmfully adverb
harmfulness noun

Thats not misinformation, Sevin is harmful. It is a poison, to say it is not harmful is MORE misinformation. To call someone a tree hugger is also ridiculous. It states clearly on the label that it is not to be used for animals because it in fact is harmful it is likely to cause harm. It is in fact designed and used to kill insects. If it is not harmful, go eat a teaspoon of it, or pour a bunch in your chicken feed. Preposterous I know, but just as valid an argument as others posted.

Is it harmful, yes it is. Is it an appropriate tool in the use of chicken management, Yes for some it is, for some not.

Lets be fair. Sevin is harmful, and may be appropriate for your flock. Tell what your use and practice is, I will tell mine and others will tell theirs, then the OP can make a well informed decision based on others peoples thoughts, experience, and philosophy. Reality is a perspective, one which you enjoy and create, which other may not choose to partake. Hitlers reality was world domination, Al Gores reality is that he invented the internet, My reality which is shared by the manufacturers of Sevin is that it is, in fact, and by definition, harmful.

Quote:
More misinformation. I do use DE but only as a maintenance program but not as an elimination. 7 dust works great compared to any so called Green Organic concoction that has very minimal results, sure it makes you think your saving the earth while your birds suffer through the reality curve.

It states clearly on the label that it is not to be used for animals because it in fact is harmful it is likely to cause harm. It is in fact designed and used to kill insects. If it is not harmful, go eat a teaspoon of it, or pour a bunch in your chicken feed. Preposterous I know, but just as valid an argument as others posted.

Exactly

Quote:

harmful |ˈhärmfəl|
adjective
causing or likely to cause harm : shield the planet from harmful cosmic rays | sugars that can be harmful to the teeth.
DERIVATIVES
harmfully adverb
harmfulness noun

Thats not misinformation, Sevin is harmful. It is a poison, to say it is not harmful is MORE misinformation. To call someone a tree hugger is also ridiculous. It states clearly on the label that it is not to be used for animals because it in fact is harmful it is likely to cause harm. It is in fact designed and used to kill insects. If it is not harmful, go eat a teaspoon of it, or pour a bunch in your chicken feed. Preposterous I know, but just as valid an argument as others posted.

Is it harmful, yes it is. Is it an appropriate tool in the use of chicken management, Yes for some it is, for some not.

Lets be fair. Sevin is harmful, and may be appropriate for your flock. Tell what your use and practice is, I will tell mine and others will tell theirs, then the OP can make a well informed decision based on others peoples thoughts, experience, and philosophy. Reality is a perspective, one which you enjoy and create, which other may not choose to partake. Hitlers reality was world domination, Al Gores reality is that he invented the internet, My reality which is shared by the manufacturers of Sevin is that it is, in fact, and by definition, harmful.

bow.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
Thank you I threw mine out years ago after reading the label.
Michele

Quote:
Why are you name calling anyways. For someone who wants to do things natural, that wasn't very nice. It does have ill effects on the insect population, good bugs, as well as, bad bugs. If it is my opinion to shed some information, then why would you call me a tree hugger, just because you use it doesn't mean it is right for all, NO ONE was trying to scare them out of a 7 dust regimine, that is their choose if they want to put harmful poisons on their birds, just giving another way of doing things.
Michele

Whoa now............ Iam not calling names here, just using a term, not meant to offend folks. Sure you can use 7 and yeah it's not for everyone, if you think it's not the best for your situation don't use it. I was just pointing out that allot of folks use it and when used properly whith due dilligence it can and will work without harm to your birds. In this day and age there are just so many things that can be "potentialy" harmful, heck eating veggies from the Walmart can send you to the hospital, but people still eat them. buying things from China will kill more people and faster than seven dust ever will. There are so many things out there meant to scare the bejesus out of you, I was merly trying to be objective and not have the sky is falling attitude. Huggers is a term used sometimes to highlight the over sensitive and overly frightened, please don't take it wrong.

Quote:
I found a bag of the old Sevins dust, for use with fleas lice mites, and ticks, and some other garden pests, and on the front of the label it says safe for use on cats and dogs, I guess it was so old that it was ok to use it for animals back then. I still use it now, and I recommend it to others.

Last edited:
Quote:
I found a bag of the old Sevins dust, for use with fleas lice mites, and ticks, and some other garden pests, and on the front of the label it says safe for use on cats and dogs, I guess it was so old that it was ok to use it for animals back then. I still use it now, and I recommend it to others.

Lol i guess.
Who knows, maybe after further testing they found that one of the chemical had some serious side effects, that they weren't aware of.
It happens alot with medicines that we thought were safe but then people start dropping like flys
ep.gif
This is just my opinion, i'd rather be safe then sorry.

Quote:

Lol i guess.
Who knows, maybe after further testing they found that one of the chemical had some serious side effects, that they weren't aware of.
It happens alot with medicines that we thought were safe but then people start dropping like flys
ep.gif
This is just my opinion, i'd rather be safe then sorry.

Gads! Me too. The fact that it used to be for animals and now recommends NOT using on animals is suspect at best. There is only one word that keeps popping into my head when using dusts of any kind and its pneumoconiosis. I bought a respirator and use it when dusting with permetherin.

Back
Top Bottom