Sewing thread swallowed

Tacampbell1973

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2013
Washington State
Hello everyone. I apologize for the only times I find the time to post anything anymore is when I have an emergency. So with that I give you my latest attempt at ignorance possibly is going to wind up with a dead chick.
I have an ancient sewing box. Woven reeds or baboo shoots are what it's made of. It has started falling apart. This caused a spool or piece of thread to be accessible to my babies in the living room.what drew me to the scene was my other living room babies shrieking in fear. I came out to find one just outside the pen jumping back and pulling like a fish caught on a line. I calmly picked her up and proceeded to assess the situation. She had evidently swallowed up the end of string and was unhappy and scared. I saw no other choice but to slowly pull the string out. It came out about a foot of it maybe 18 inches. Finally I got to where it no longer came out easily. I gave my best and then I didn't jerk but pulled a little harder and out came a chunk on the end. I t bought, aw I don't want to look at it in case it's his little throat came out. Luckily my husband saw it and determined it to be a feather! We watched her for a bit and she ate and drank but she made a little mewing noise that I chalked up to being scared and going through a tough time. I held him/her. I heard wheezing. Today she just wants to rest but I see her mouth breathing and I'm scared. I tried to keep her hydrated but can't get her to eat or drink. I'm wanting to give her some salt water rinse orally to try treating any swelling in throat but not feeling very competent. Please help.

I wouldn't do a salt water rinse, it would likely be swallowed or aspirated. Can you look inside the beak and throat and see if it looks normal? How sure are you that it was a feather on the end? With thread, string, or small hairs it's not uncommon for them to be wrapped around the tongue. It can be hard to see, but if that's the case, then they can sometimes be carefully unwrapped or cut with tiny scissors. Since the thread has been removed, all you can really do is wait. If the throat was damaged or irritated, then hopefully with time it will resolve. :hugs

Thank you Coach. I'm ashamed to say that a second pre-teen involved. His baby pen flockmate, a silky pulled also grabbed another piece of thread ( I swear I looked and failed to see it after the first incident), it actually DID get the thread around the tongue. Nearly the very base where the tonge starts,. My husband and I tried everything to get hold of the thread but couldn't. I tried with the tip of a scalpel to get under it but after a few seconds of failure I realized I was going to end up causing more damage than good. Today, feeling like the World's Worst Parent, I found the younger pullet was still gaspy and not wanting to do much, and pullet #2, the Silkie, seemingly fine with no string in evidence. In hindsight I feel I should have cut the string and let it try to digest instead of pulling on it. Live and learn, it just sucks when I lose a bird to my own stupidity. Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom