Sex 60 day old buff orpington

crealbilly

Songster
Apr 1, 2015
Southern Illinois, USA
Any clues on the sex of my 60 day old buff orpingtons? I was supposes to get all hens but you know how that goes...

Do you see any roos in there?

Thanks

Last edited:
Closer pictures would help. Are you sure they are only 60 days old? They look huge for only two months old.

I'd say they are all girls. My little Buff Orpington is a week younger than yours and she looks like them. As long as no one has big dangling wattles, or big red comb then I think you are pretty safe at this stage.

Ill try and get some closer pics. If they are all poults - i want to say you all are great. I read somewhere on here about turning a chick over on its back and if it draws both of its legs up close to its body - its a hen. But if it extends both or even one leg its a roo. I picked all these out of a staright run .99 tub at rural king. I must have tested 50 chicks in order to find these that drew both legs up close to its body.

Yes they are 60 days old today - it must be all that cow itch weed growing in their yard that they've been eating that has caused the to grow so large :) I wont get anywhere near that cow itch but the seem to really like it.

Last edited:
Is this a cockerel or pullet? I have 2!

Welcome to BYC! How old is the bird? If it's mature it's a pullet, but I think I can see saddle and wing bow feathers developing, so at this point I'd guess that's an immature cockerel.

Ill try and get some closer pics. If they are all poults - i want to say you all are great. I read somewhere on here about turning a chick over on its back and if it draws both of its legs up close to its body - its a hen. But if it extends both or even one leg its a roo. I picked all these out of a staright run .99 tub at rural king. I must have tested 50 chicks in order to find these that drew both legs up close to its body.

Yes they are 60 days old today - it must be all that cow itch weed growing in their yard that they've been eating that has caused the to grow so large :) I wont get anywhere near that cow itch but the seem to really like it.

Those methods are generally considered wives tales' and have been disproven many times. I'd be inclined to think they either ordered pullets or you coincidentally happened to get pullets.

Welcome to BYC! How old is the bird? If it's mature it's a pullet, but I think I can see saddle and wing bow feathers developing, so at this point I'd guess that's an immature cockerel.
Those methods are generally considered wives tales' and have been disproven many times. I'd be inclined to think they either ordered pullets or you coincidentally happened to get pullets.

Wives tale or not it seems like i hit the jackpot. I may just go and buy a lottery ticket. This kind of stuff never happens to me -:happy happy happy

Back
Top Bottom