Sex and Breed

aprilmaybe

Chirping
Oct 2, 2017
Hi friends,
I'm new to chickening and wanted to ask some questions. Background - we bought chicks from the local hardware store on August 11th. They were all supposed to be girls but they couldn't tell us for sure.

A few weeks later my husband was back at the hardware store and they had a new batch of chicks (much younger) that looked like baby penguins and "kept looking at him" so he couldn't resist buying 2 more. At this point I forbade him from going to the hardware store alone, but I digress...

I have 2 questions. Our first chicks were all about the same size when we bought them but one of them seems to have grown faster than the others and looks to be different. I'm wondering if it's a rooster or just a different breed?

Our second chicks - the penguin looking ones that stared at my husband cutely until he bought them - I have no idea what their breed is. I'm going to post a few pictures in hopes that someone can tell me.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3114.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_3114.JPG.jpeg
    674.4 KB · Views: 14
I was told we had Easter Eggers and Dominiques and thought the largest one was a dominique. I was afraid he might be a cockerel because he is looking so different as he grows. However, I don't see any spurs. I'm trying to post more pictures but we now live out in the sticks and my internet is painfully slow. Bare with me.

Here is a picture from when they were younger and you can see the penguin looking one.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom