Sex and/or breed help

MomvdH

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2023
Central Kentucky
I hope these pictures are clear enough. I have raised 8 chicks from day 2, who are now almost 14 weeks. I’m thinking 3-4 are Roos. I was hoping, as maybe most of us do, for all hens. I’ve already rehomed one definite roo who was becoming too mean, chasing the others, pecking, etc. He was a beauty though. 😟
I know for certain I have a part RIR roo, who will likely need to go as well. No pictures of him,
but I’d love to hear others thoughts on these 4. I’m almost sure 2 are safely hens, but would like thoughts on breed. The other 2 are my questionable Roos. But I’d like to know breeds as well. Our chicks came from a barnyard mix farm. I do know the breeds she had, but the list is long, so I won’t post it here.

So #1 is a total favorite of all of us. I think it is part to all black maran. But there is no copper in him/her. Jet black with beautiful blue and purple mixed in. He/she is big and fat, has feathered feet, is very docile, makes the most adorable sounds, but….also crows. I am afraid it is a rooster, but sometimes seems so hen-like. If it weren’t for the crowing…oh how I want this one to be a hen.

#2 I’m pretty sure this is a hen, but would love thoughts in breed.

#3 This one did not get the bright red comb, but seems to have curled tail feathers, and acts pretty bossy. He/she does not crow, but just looks kind of roostery to me. He/she is also on the small side. I included two pictures of this one.

#4 sweet hen, but what breed?

Thank you!

IMG_0913.jpeg
IMG_0919.jpeg
IMG_0916.jpeg
IMG_0915.jpeg
IMG_0912.jpeg

I hope these pictures are clear enough. I have raised 8 chicks from day 2, who are now almost 14 weeks. I’m thinking 3-4 are Roos. I was hoping, as maybe most of us do, for all hens. I’ve already rehomed one definite roo who was becoming too mean, chasing the others, pecking, etc. He was a beauty though. 😟
I know for certain I have a part RIR roo, who will likely need to go as well. No pictures of him,
but I’d love to hear others thoughts on these 4. I’m almost sure 2 are safely hens, but would like thoughts on breed. The other 2 are my questionable Roos. But I’d like to know breeds as well. Our chicks came from a barnyard mix farm. I do know the breeds she had, but the list is long, so I won’t post it here.

So #1 is a total favorite of all of us. I think it is part to all black maran. But there is no copper in him/her. Jet black with beautiful blue and purple mixed in. He/she is big and fat, has feathered feet, is very docile, makes the most adorable sounds, but….also crows. I am afraid it is a rooster, but sometimes seems so hen-like. If it weren’t for the crowing…oh how I want this one to be a hen.

#3 This one did not get the bright red comb, but seems to have curled tail feathers, and acts pretty bossy. He/she does not crow, but just looks kind of roostery to me. He/she is also on the small side. I included two pictures of this one.

Thank you!

View attachment 3567579View attachment 3567580View attachment 3567581View attachment 3567582View attachment 3567583
1&3 look like cockerels. 1 appears to have saddle feathers coming in. 3 has the red wing bows of a cockerel. 2&4 look like pullets.... As for breeds... 3 looks like an Easter egger...

1&3 look like cockerels. 1 appears to have saddle feathers coming in. 3 has the red wing bows of a cockerel. 2&4 look like pullets.... As for breeds... 3 looks like an Easter egger...
Oops... Pushed button too soon... Meant to add that 1 could definitely be a marans or marans mix. The brown one could be one of several breeds, so u need an expert... I have 2 different breeds that look like that. One possibility is brown leghorn and another is welsummer... Also I think there is a phoenix pullet colored that way...

Thank you!

View attachment 3567579View attachment 3567580View attachment 3567581View attachment 3567582View attachment 3567583
I would say 3 is an americuna roo. I have a few. Easter eggers have wigs. Lol. But that is just what my EE look like. His cheeks look like the Grey fluff is commn in. I love the guessing. It's always fun to see how it turns out!:)

Thank you!

What did they turn out to be? :)

What did they turn out to be? :)
Thank you for asking.
1 was a very definite roo. He was the last one we rehomed. It was sad, because he was so, so beautiful, but I’ve enjoyed our little flock much more since he left. I just feel less on guard.
2 is a hen laying lovely specked brown eggs. I still don’t know what breed she is, but she‘s sweet.
3 was a roo - rehomed
4 is a hen who was the first to lay, and gives us a light brown egg every day.

We ordered 3 (got 4) pullet chicks to add to our little flock since 4 of 8 of the original were Roos. These 4 all do indeed seem to be pullets, but we haven’t integrated them fully yet with the big girls. Still in the see no touch cage. I’m nervous.

Back
Top Bottom