sex?? and possible breed questions.

golddustmommy

Songster
Jun 14, 2017
MA
I come here too frequently, hoping one of these weeks they will not be "too young to tell" LOL I'm so paranoid that I'll get roos because we can't keep them in my town if we do. I tried to get as many pics as possible. Somehow, I only managed to end up with one of Charlie, but I think you can see enough to tell...if you can tell. They are all 7 weeks. I got them all at the local feed store when they were 2 about 2 weeks, they were all supposed to be girls.

Alex took longer than Sheriff to feather in (was bald for a while) - both are BJGs - but has had large tail feathers for a while, which makes me worry.
Alex 7wks.jpg
Charlie is super friendly. She jumps right up on you if you put your arm out, or if you are squatting down.
charlie 7wks.jpg
I'm ok calling claire a girl. She's indifferent on the social front, and hasn't given me any boy signs lol
claire 7 wks.jpg
Not having anything to do with sex, I love that Ellen has both gold and silver lace :) This may or may not be a sign of something, but I like it lol
ellen 7wks.jpg
Jo is pretty anti-social, but otherwise strikes me as a girl.
jo 7wks.jpg
Meg's comb has always been more pronounced than anyone, and starting turning red about 2-3 weeks ago. But she didn't have much on the wattle front until this past week. But the early onset of red had me worried.
meg 7wks.jpg
Nugget was a runt, and took about 2 weeks longer than everyone else to get feathers; and is also the least social, HATING to be held. He (I've always called this one a he) also likes to start fights with the others, but I wasn't sure if that could just be because he's so small (though catching up) and didn't want to get picked on.
nugget 7wks.jpg
Rowena is also very friendly.
rowena 7wks.jpg
Sheriff goes back and forth for me. He's (also always called a he) has this interesting 1 syllable squawk that started recently, but it's NOT a rooster crow. no cock, doodle, or do lol just a weird squawk. I tried recording it to post here, but I can't find a program to read my phone's audio file :/ He's always been the "boss" of the group, as he was the biggest for a long time (recently Alex got bigger). He and Alex frequently go chest to chest. But he has the yellowest, smallest comb and wattle of all of them! So I'm holding out hope LOL
sheriff 7wks.jpg

None of them have any pronounced spurs. And most of their legs are about the same size.

OH! also, all of the yellow ones are supposed to be Red Star - so sex linked - but out of all the pictures I've seen of red star pullets, they are all darker than mine were when we got them ... but mine were darker than pictures of boy red stars. So I'm thinking they are not actually red stars. If anyone has any idea on breed for them, that would be great!

anyone else have any opinions? I'd like to get as many as I can, and to learn as much as I can at the same time. :)

The red ones are Red Sex Links. Ellen, Meg and Nugget need to wait a little longer to tell but the rest are girls.
lol that was what I was going to say... they look like my sex-links... These are my 12 week old sex-links for reference, they are sweet, but a little flighty lol. Rosa is the darker one, the lighter one is Blondie... :D
IMG_4699.JPG
IMG_4706.JPG
IMG_4707.JPG

I come here too frequently, hoping one of these weeks they will not be "too young to tell" LOL I'm so paranoid that I'll get roos because we can't keep them in my town if we do. I tried to get as many pics as possible. Somehow, I only managed to end up with one of Charlie, but I think you can see enough to tell...if you can tell. They are all 7 weeks. I got them all at the local feed store when they were 2 about 2 weeks, they were all supposed to be girls.

Alex took longer than Sheriff to feather in (was bald for a while) - both are BJGs - but has had large tail feathers for a while, which makes me worry.
View attachment 1077788
Charlie is super friendly. She jumps right up on you if you put your arm out, or if you are squatting down.
View attachment 1077789
I'm ok calling claire a girl. She's indifferent on the social front, and hasn't given me any boy signs lol
View attachment 1077790
Not having anything to do with sex, I love that Ellen has both gold and silver lace :) This may or may not be a sign of something, but I like it lol
View attachment 1077791
Jo is pretty anti-social, but otherwise strikes me as a girl.
View attachment 1077792
Meg's comb has always been more pronounced than anyone, and starting turning red about 2-3 weeks ago. But she didn't have much on the wattle front until this past week. But the early onset of red had me worried.
View attachment 1077793
Nugget was a runt, and took about 2 weeks longer than everyone else to get feathers; and is also the least social, HATING to be held. He (I've always called this one a he) also likes to start fights with the others, but I wasn't sure if that could just be because he's so small (though catching up) and didn't want to get picked on.
View attachment 1077794
Rowena is also very friendly.
View attachment 1077795
Sheriff goes back and forth for me. He's (also always called a he) has this interesting 1 syllable squawk that started recently, but it's NOT a rooster crow. no cock, doodle, or do lol just a weird squawk. I tried recording it to post here, but I can't find a program to read my phone's audio file :/ He's always been the "boss" of the group, as he was the biggest for a long time (recently Alex got bigger). He and Alex frequently go chest to chest. But he has the yellowest, smallest comb and wattle of all of them! So I'm holding out hope LOL
View attachment 1077796

None of them have any pronounced spurs. And most of their legs are about the same size.

OH! also, all of the yellow ones are supposed to be Red Star - so sex linked - but out of all the pictures I've seen of red star pullets, they are all darker than mine were when we got them ... but mine were darker than pictures of boy red stars. So I'm thinking they are not actually red stars. If anyone has any idea on breed for them, that would be great!

Ellen looks like a gold laced wyandotte. I have one she is very pretty. But Meg has a different comb, so not sure about her. There are gold laced in a lot of breeds. But the comb on Meg has me thinking roo, it is very red for 7 weeks. This one is about 11-12 weeks old, and it's comb is very small and pink, I know that it gets redder in the heat, but still hoping she is a she lol.
IMG_4704.JPG

the golden sex-links are the red and lighter red closer to the front... the RIR behind them I am pretty sure is a male... he has flown at my little dog feet first. It was pretty hilarious, only because he likes to run after them and smell them... lets just say he keeps his distance now.
IMG_4576.JPG
IMG_4578.JPG
IMG_4581.JPG

Thank you for the info and comparisons! Nugget, meg, and ellen are all GLWs. I was only questioning breed on the red stars, and only because of their coloring when we got them. but all the GLWs have rose combs, it's just a weird angle. however, her beak is much darker than the others' beaks. It has been red for a while though, so that's what has me worried.

I will say, however, I'm holding out hope. This is an 8 wk someone else posted, and I said instantly that this one was roo because he has WAY more wattle and redder comb than meg ever has lol

Attachments

• IMG_20170624_165131464.jpg
    IMG_20170624_165131464.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 7
Thank you for the info and comparisons! Nugget, meg, and ellen are all GLWs. I was only questioning breed on the red stars, and only because of their coloring when we got them. but all the GLWs have rose combs, it's just a weird angle. however, her beak is much darker than the others' beaks. It has been red for a while though, so that's what has me worried.
Yeah I was posting my GLW for comparison, and showing you that my red-stars look the same as yours, so I don't think they were mixed up...

Back
Top Bottom