Sex Link Broken Neck Feathers

zurmakin

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2020
Santa Fe, NM
Hello all. I have a Sex Link that has a bunch of feathers on the front of the neck/breast that were broken off. I put in a new gate she was sticking her head through a lot and I believe that was the original cause. I fixed the gate and she can't do it anymore and the problem seems to have stopped here. However, it has looked like this for months.

I have checked many times for any bugs and I have changed to a higher protein "Feather Fixer" food to help out with growing new feathers. She seems happy and cuddly as ever, eating well, is active, and laying like a machine. She does get bullied a little but it is usually the feet and I have to split her up and spray her feet with blue antiseptic. That always helps. I have not witnessed feather picking bullying, though. It seems that the old stems just remain. I am unfamiliar with the growth process of these feathers growing back in. Is there anything else I can do to help?

Thanks for the input!

PXL_20210531_180804691.jpg
PXL_20210531_180951231.jpg

Ok! Thanks. She is just 14 months old. So I haven't witnessed her molt yet. She is my buddy and always cuddles in my lap so I notice it a lot and want to be sure I'm giving her what she needs.
Yea that’s the annoying thing about feather loss; you have to wait for the molt to see significant regrowth. My broody just hatched a clutch so she has some bare patches that I expect to be there until the fall.

Yea that’s the annoying thing about feather loss; you have to wait for the molt to see significant regrowth. My broody just hatched a clutch so she has some bare patches that I expect to be there until the fall.
That is really helpful. Still new with these girls. I think I realized that the old shafts needed to fall out but didn't put together that it will only happen at molt. It makes a lot of sense.

I made some changes around their enclosure and it shouldn't happen again. I'm sure they will find something else to get into though!

I have a Dominique that went broody and her whole belly is all bare too! I gotta keep taking eggs away immediately for her to come on out of the coop.

Thanks for the help again! It makes more sense having someone say it to me.

That is really helpful. Still new with these girls. I think I realized that the old shafts needed to fall out but didn't put together that it will only happen at molt. It makes a lot of sense.

I made some changes around their enclosure and it shouldn't happen again. I'm sure they will find something else to get into though!

I have a Dominique that went broody and her whole belly is all bare too! I gotta keep taking eggs away immediately for her to come on out of the coop.

Thanks for the help again! It makes more sense having someone say it to me.
You’re welcome! I’m sitting here watching my farm hand (my husband 🤣) fix a broken section of our fencing.

Back
Top Bottom