sex link chicks--what would I come up with?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by madornato, Oct 13, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    That's interesting, and I imagine those would be great layers.

madornato, I wanted to add something to what I said earlier.

I told you that you can use any non barred roo ( that's not Dominant white like Krys said), on a Barred hen to get the Black Sexlinks. That is from a non barred on a barred cross. The possible roo colors useed could be: RIR, NHR, Buff, Black, Blue, some Whites and basicly any other non barred roo.

BTW, if you use a Blue or Spash roo on Barred hens, you will get solid blue hens and blue barred males.

However when creating the Red Sexlinks with a hen with the silver genes, the roo used must have gold genes, ex: RIR, NHR, Buff, Partridge, etc... You can not use Black, Blue, White, etc... roos, because they don't have the gold gene. Just wanted to mack sure you under stood that.

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:OH

I did not know this!!

I was told that my newest chicks are Buff Orp dad, Barred Rock mom. Some have obvious "spots" on their head like I have seen in sex-linked chicks. Some have mostly white heads, and some have brown heads.

So the brown heads are females? I think they're so pretty.

I have already kinda figured out that some are going to be plain barred, so those will be males?

I got pix in my siggy link, but not many of individual chicks yet.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    That's right Tala, those are exactly what I got, the hens are the ones with the red heads and they will look like the one in my pic. The ones with the mostly white head will look lighter barred like the roo in my pic. And the other ones with the whiteish head that's not quite as solid white as the others are also roos but they will be a little darker barred like this one. He's from the same batch as the others in the top pics.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

[​IMG] Well that takes all the fun out of guessing [​IMG]

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Songster

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:You can not use a white leghorn because they carry extended black. You want to use a female bird that is wheaten, silver, columbian restricted and carries dominant white to get the most accurate sexing of the red sex linked chicks.

Female birds that work best are delaware (no dominant white), light sussex(no dominant white),and rhode island white. Salmon faverolle can be used also but are not columbian restricted and do not carry dominant white. Specific white rocks can also be used; they would have to be bred to be used in a red sex linked cross.

I would love to know where the information is coming from that a person can use a white leghorn in a red sex linked cross. I see this error time and time again on this forum.

How about a sticky on sex linked crosses? I would be glad to write an introduction for the sticky. People ask the same questions over and over: this would give people a place to go and find information.

Tim

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  6. HBuehler

HBuehler Songster

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Using the leghorn in the cross makes a different feathering pattern that can be determined nearly at hatching..a slow feathering female with a fast feathering male will produce a feather sexable chick which could be called a sex link. Has NOTHING to do with a color pattern just a feather pattern..and yes it does work.Leghorns are often used because of their production but it can be used with any breed as long as you follow the slow to fast rule.
    Of coarse the reliability of this relies on your ability to see well enough to feather sex so you may need some of these eyes! [​IMG]

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:You can not use a white leghorn because they carry extended black. You want to use a female bird that is wheaten, silver, columbian restricted and carries dominant white to get the most accurate sexing of the red sex linked chicks.

Female birds that work best are delaware (no dominant white), light sussex(no dominant white),and rhode island white. Salmon faverolle can be used also but are not columbian restricted and do not carry dominant white. Specific white rocks can also be used; they would have to be bred to be used in a red sex linked cross.

I would love to know where the information is coming from that a person can use a white leghorn in a red sex linked cross. I see this error time and time again on this forum.

How about a sticky on sex linked crosses? I would be glad to write an introduction for the sticky. People ask the same questions over and over: this would give people a place to go and find information.

Tim

[​IMG]

8. Randy

Randy Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Can you use silver laced wyandottes or silver pincled rocks for the hens for sex links?

9. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Songster

Can you use silver laced wyandottes or silver pincled rocks for the hens for sex links?

Yes.​

10. tadkerson

tadkerson Songster

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Works very well (98 % to 100% accuracy) works best with the males that are black tailed red- rhode island red, production red, new hampshire. The male bird must be homozygous for the following: wheaten, columbian and gold. Throw in dominant white and it will make things even better.

Tim

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: