Sex-link info and chicks, can we determine sex? [PICS]

CoffeeCow

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Washington, NC
Looking at the sexlink info here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208
I am trying to determine the sex of my 3 chicks

daddy was an ee, but he was very red, here is a pic of him
55864_spazz01.jpg

we had only 2 moms, 1 was a BO, and the other 2 were from a Delaware

We will do the BO (Bugsy) first, here is her chick. being reddish color, I think that it will be a girl. do you agree with me?
Its kinda hard to get good pics, but I tried
smile.png

named this one BJ (Bugsy's Chick, so Bugsy Jr.)

55864_chicks2_008.jpg

top view
55864_chicks2_010.jpg

The other 2 here came from Delawares, one is white, the other black.. not real sure what to think here, but I am guessing the white one will be a roo, and the black one a hen I am basing this on the reddish undertones of the black one.

this one is named Santas Little Helper (had to help this one hatch on xmas day)

55864_chicks2_005.jpg

top view
55864_chicks2_009.jpg

and here is Eve/Steve (hatched on xmas eve)

55864_chicks2_007.jpg

top view
55864_chicks2_011.jpg

Based on the sex-link info, tell me what you think?
my thoughts are:
BJ = pullet
Eve/Steve = Cockerel
Santas little helper = pullet

With a EE being the father you will not be able to color sex these chicks. Why? because EE come in many colors and typically are seen as mixes themselves. In other words he might (could/should) have other colors in his genes that would make the color sexing void. you could have any color males and females.

for sake of argument, lets say he has only red genes, and try to render an educated guess.
Personally, I don't care what sex they are, I need a new roo
smile.png
but we can predict with some degree of accuracy for fun.

Edit:
And you get to look at cute chicks
smile.png

Last edited:
ooh, your right.

I should have read a little better there
smile.png

so it looks like I have (more than likely)
1 roo
1 pullet
1 either way

any guesses on that one?
smile.png

I'd like to put my two cents in on the genetics of your EE. (I am by no means authoratative,
hide.gif
)

For the sire of a sex-link, the rooster cannot be white or barred. And here from the sex-link sticky:

'Almost any variety (color) of male ( not including white) can be used in a black sex linked cross'

From my understanding, this is true for the other types of sex-linked.
Looking at your (gorgeous) rooster, I cannot beleive that he would carry white or barred. Although EEs usually have wacked (unpredictable) genes, I think you can safely assume he has made sex-linked chicks by your Delaware.

My humble opinion/observation.

Oh, and the roo?
droolin.gif
love.gif

A homozygous red rooster crossed with a Delaware hen would make RED sex-links, not black sex-links. Males white, females red. The fact that you got a dark colored chick would tell me that your roo is masking something and cannot be used to make red sex-links.

Red&Yellow's quote from Tadkerson's sticky is correct, but it's for BLACK sex-links, not red sex-links. Red sex-links are much more complicated than Black sex-links. Your roo probably is capable of making BLACK sex-link chicks with Barred Rock, Cuckoo Maran, Dominique, or Barred Holland hens.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom