1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sex link question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickyGal, Feb 3, 2008.

1. ChickyGal

ChickyGal Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2007
    Hi everyone,
    I have a question. But first I've already found the link explaining this sex link business, but it still isn't making much sense to me..lol.. OKay, I have a Buff Orpington rooster and I have barred rock hens and road island red hens, and I want to know if I can come up with any sex links chicks out of the BO rooster with these hens. I have hatched a bunch of chicks out last Fall and several of the pullets look exactly like Black Sex Links, but I can't find anywhere that it is written for a person to use a BO rooster. Please help me, it's driving me nuts.
    Thanks,
    Shirley

2. ChickyGal

Jun 10, 2007
    Anyone?

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I am here to help, lol. Ok buff birds are gold, and when you cross either a gold or red roo (like RIR) on silver hens like barred rocks, dominiques, slver laced wyandottes, etc. you get sexlinks.

4. ChickyGal

Jun 10, 2007
    Thank you so much!! :)
    Shirley

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I know with the buff rooster and the barred rock hen you'll get sex-link black babies. The girls will be black, boys will look like barred rock babies (black w/ yellow headspots and will later develop barring).

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by