Sex-link question

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I was given some eggs, we *think* the hens were black australorp but the roo was whitish (kids descrip, it was killed by the family dog). So far 8 have hatched, 5 look identical to any pic I have seen of the Australorp and 3 have the same markings but instead of black they are a greyish silver and look beautiful with the bright yellow. The question is, what are the odds of these being able to be sexed by color. And if so would the lighter ones be the roos (cuz dad was light) and the darker ones be pullets (because hens were black)?????? I really need a genetics class on chickens
Thanks
Krista

Sorry it won't work for you. Black sex links are created by using a red male, such as Rhode Island, or New Hampshire, just as red sex links are created. The hens are usually barred rocks as well. I'm sure you will still get some fine layers out of them.

Geez, was hoping to figure it out before the kids got too attatched to them
sad.png
Oh well, it will be interesting to see how they feather out (the silvery ones, that is). Is it about 4-6 weeks to figure out? I thought I read that somewhere, would it be obvious to a newbie at that age?
Thanks,
Krista

I think you will be able to tell when your hens and roos are side by side. Usually by then their combs and wattles are noticeably bigger than the hens. If you need help though, just let us know.

Gwen

Back
Top Bottom