1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sex link

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by davecash, Jul 23, 2007.

1. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    wat in the dickens does sex linked mean in breeds?

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
  3. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    And they go by different names: Gold Star, Red Star, Black Star, Cinnamon Queen to name a few. All mean the cockerels and pullets can be seperated by their color at hatching.

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    My red-sex-link is a pretty light red and gives me a giant brown egg every day. She is very freindly and likes to be held. There are also black sex-linked chickens.

5. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    My red sex links are more friendly and tame than my black sex links, the black ones are so scared and timid. I can't wait for their eggs though!

6. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    My gold sex links are some of the friendliest hens I've ever encountered! They're hilarious, engaging, and even come when they're called. I love the way they look, too.

As everybody else has said, a sex-link is a specific cross of chickens that they will be able to tell the sex of the chicks by the color of their down.

7. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    i have four black star's and wish that is all that i had was the sex linked. at first they did not seem friendly but they will take grapes and eat them right out of my hand now. and i have one that lays over 3 inch eggs at least every other week she gives us one that huge and they lay everyday, my husband wants some red star's now ! love love them [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, so far, my golden sexlinks have been the sweetest birds. One is so nice that she has been deemed an untouchable by Royicus, meaning I can't turn her into stew.

Here she is! She has health problems though.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by