sex link?

bucklev

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Kenduskeag,Me
Maybe a stupid question but here goes...I s it possicle that a black sex link hen may actually be a roo?? It has the same markings of a hen but its head gear is really lookin like a ro:hmmr is it that she is just maturing at a faster rate than the other girls?It also seems much more vocal than the others although not crowing. Thanx for any help

If it's a sex-link, colored like a sex-link female - mostly black, with a bit of red mainly in the head and chest area - it's a female. They often do mature at different rates.

I have had this same question myself, and I have seen pics of black sex link hens with some massive combs and wattles. I have two pullets that have more regular size combs and wattles, but then there is Big Mama. Big Mama crows sometimes, but we had a roo that was rehomed so maybe she just has self-image issues ( I hope). She does have some impressive combs and wattles, but she has a hen butt. No saddle feathers or anything on that end to indicate roo. So right now I'm waiting on an egg!

Back
Top Bottom