Sex- linked Information

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tadkerson, Oct 27, 2009.

1. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Marvin,

I have not read any research manuscripts or conducted any breeding experiments that would indicate that the brown allele and the wheaten allele act differently , with respect to black in the saddle hackles, when columbian restricted. I am not saying it does not but I can not answer with a yes.

Tim

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    I haven´t either. BUT seeing how wildtype wheaten(all other genes wiltype except the e allele) look very devoided of eumelanin compared to wildtype eb brown(at least on the females as the males look very similar) I suspected this has something to do with the lack or pressence of saddle color. so I´m just guessing.

3. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I was thinking the hen would not be pure, and how knows what she could be!
    I hope it is a pullet!
    He does have a small comp with multiple rows, he is mostly the same color as a RIR, of course he has colors all over, one of his brothers was almost all white with red splash. He may not be full blood either, with his color I suspect he has a RIR (or similar) in his background. As for the BO I can only ID 2 chicks as his, both look just like him, and only him. This is a surprise as he was quite a busy guy!

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have a few, from a random cross. I on ly know the pullet parents because of the lacing from the mom and the red from dad. I have a few that are red laced. Rather pretty. Males from this cross are not identifiable. Sorry.

5. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    the Pattern gene(lacing) is an autosomal gene, so both gender obtain a copy of Pg. they would be Pg/pg+. males will be golden culumbian

6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    question for the experts.
    ok,apa sop says light sussex male hackle is black laced with white. english sop says white feather striped with black. there is no Pg in light sussex.
    so is this a color balancing difference?
    karen in frigid western PA

7. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    other genes my be affecting the hackle, but its not Pg

8. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Originally Posted by 3riverschick [​IMG]

question for the experts.
    ok,apa sop says light sussex male hackle is black laced with white. english sop says white feather striped with black. there is no Pg in light sussex.
    so is this a color balancing difference?
    karen in frigid western PA
    ==========================
    nicalandia;
    other genes my be affecting the hackle, but its not Pg
    ========================
    ok, so if one has the apa sop hackle and wants the english sop hackle...does one focus on narrowing the black stripe...or widening the white edging. this is on a wheaten-based bird. how does one make the change show up in the female hackle?
    thanks,
    karen

i have been trying for a long time to find the proper thread with folk in the know to answer these questions.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

10. LAFreewayChickens

LAFreewayChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by