Sex- linked Information

Pics
You do not want a gene in the offspring that will dilute the offspring down color in red sex linked crosses unless it is dominant white ( it gets rid of black and browns in the chick down). That is why I said do not use the leg bar. The offspring will carry one copy of the barring gene which will dilute the down color. This may effect the accuracy of sexing the chicks.

When a person crosses wild type with wheaten they do not always get the down color expressed in your offspring. The chicks you produced have the optimum down color; at other times the down color will be a peudowild type down color and the down phenotype has a greater degree of inaccuracy in sexing the chicks. Wheaten x delaware = the best down color to color sex chicks

I do not feel the need to explain every answer- I keep it short and simple in my posts.

Read the first post in this string.

Tim

First let me say that I have found this thread EXTREMELY usefully and informative, especially the information in the first post by Tim. Thank you Tim.

I understand why you keep it short, and I'm not trying to pick an argument, but just provide some information based on my experience.

That said, I think the choice of a Wheaten Marans or Cream Legbar roo to cross over Delware hens to produce sexlinks should probably be based on things like preference for egg color, as both should produce easily distinguishable sexlinked chicks.

In this last post you refer to a dilution due to heterozygous barring. This could be an issue for most of the silver Columbian hens that one might use for a red/gold sexlink, but it is not an issue using Delawares, since they are barred, and thus the offspring are all homozygous for barring.

I can't speak to the results from crossing CL roos over other silver Columbian hens, but I've hatched quite a few CL x Dels, and after the first few, it became very clear to me which are which.

Would a game roo over white rocks sexlink??
From the chart on the very first post..

* White Wyandottes and *White Plymouth Rocks are not a good choice. They sometimes have the correct genotype to produce sex linked chicks and at other times, they do not have the correct genotype to produce sex linked chicks. If a White Wyandotte carries the correct genotype, then the male down will vary in color: whitish, yellowish or even smoky white. The females produced from a Rhode Island Red and White Wyandotte cross can also vary in color from a striped gold down into a light buff color.

Which Game? Cackle hatchery offers these choices. Some will work, some won’t. Then there’s the problem Donrae mentioned.

Black Breasted Red Standard Old English Game Fowl
Golden Duckwing Old English Game Fowl
Silver Duckwing Old English Game Fowl
White Old English Game Fowl
Blue Old English Game Fowl
Spangled Old English Game Fowl
Black Old English Game Fowl
Ginger Red Old English Game Fowl
Brown Breasted Brown Red Old English Game Fowl
Wheaten Old English Game Fowl
Black Breasted Brown Red Old English Game Fowl
Red Pyle Old English Game Fowl
Birchen Old English Game Fowl
Splash Old English Game Fowl
Crele Old English Game Fowl
Cuckoo Old English Game Fowl
Silver Duckwing Old English Game Jungle Fowl
Black Breasted Red Old English Game Jungle Fowl

This is the game roo I have. He use to have pretty long feathers in his tail but the other chickens plucked them...

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question... does it work with bantams?
Sorry if that was already asked and answered in this thread; 91 pages is a lot to read!

Back
Top Bottom