Sex- linked Information

Pics
Building a Welbar line

Have exceptional Welsummers and Barred Rocks.

Have about 40-50 chicks out.

Colors: Totally black...females? Black with just a little white on top of head. ??? Black with a big white spot on the top of head. Male?

According to what I have read I should end up with half barred and half totally black.

Do I keep only the barred males and put them back onto Welsummer females or ????? Looked at the chart many times and thought you kept all the barred birds. After reading for about the 20th time it looks like you only keep the barred males.

Anyone know?

If you used BR females only the males will have head spots. If you used a BR male all will have head spots. The males single barred. This makes sexing unreliable as all chicks have 1 barring gene.

Building a Welbar line

Colors: Totally black...females? Black with just a little white on top of head. ??? Black with a big white spot on the top of head. Male?

According to what I have read I should end up with half barred and half totally black.

Do I keep only the barred males and put them back onto Welsummer females or ????? Looked at the chart many times and thought you kept all the barred birds. After reading for about the 20th time it looks like you only keep the barred males.

Anyone know?

Backcross Barred Male over welsumer hen.

Building a Welbar line

Anyone know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makomd

Backcross Barred Male over welsumer hen.

Rob all the barred(headspots) will be males and its the same motion as making Hambar and Rhodebar put the F2 barred males back over the (gold genetic) dam (breed/type/pattern)Wellie in your case

Jeff

Last edited:
First off thanks for all the comments and Private Messages. I do appreciate them. I will try and get some pictures of the chicks sometime this week when it is raining and I cannot really work outside as much.

The reason I started with a Welsummer male over a Barred Rock was by reading this off of one of the web pages. To me it looks like you keep only the Black Barred Males from the first hatch and then put those males on Welsummer females. Do I have this wrong? Will these Black Barred males look just like a Barred Rock when grown out or will they be Black with a dark barring instead of the traditional white bar of the rock?

The creation of the Welbar is outlined in the following chart:
500;476;2e259e0615a064bbef1e3ed8c34a6f2937e24005.jpg

Thanks again for all the knowledge you are passing on to me.

Rob

First off thanks for all the comments and Private Messages. I do appreciate them. I will try and get some pictures of the chicks sometime this week when it is raining and I cannot really work outside as much.

The reason I started with a Welsummer male over a Barred Rock was by reading this off of one of the web pages. To me it looks like you keep only the Black Barred Males from the first hatch and then put those males on Welsummer females. Do I have this wrong? Will these Black Barred males look just like a Barred Rock when grown out or will they be Black with a dark barring instead of the traditional white bar of the rock?

The creation of the Welbar is outlined in the following chart:
500;476;2e259e0615a064bbef1e3ed8c34a6f2937e24005.jpg

Thanks again for all the knowledge you are passing on to me.

Rob
The males will be silver like a barred rock but will also have gold bleeding.

I would not hatch a great deal for this cross either as you only need the males.

Last edited:
I keep reading from people who breed Cuckoo Marans that they can be sexed by color fairly accurately in the first few days. (Males are more silver and have a more diffuse spot on top of head) But according to the info at the start of this thread it's not true. Is it possible that they are correct, just that it is not as accurate as a "sex link" ?

This chick hatched Wednesday from hatchery stock Cuckoo Marans Parents

I keep reading from people who breed Cuckoo Marans that they can be sexed by color fairly accurately in the first few days. (Males are more silver and have a more diffuse spot on top of head) But according to the info at the start of this thread it's not true. Is it possible that they are correct, just that it is not as accurate as a "sex link" ?

This chick hatched Wednesday from hatchery stock Cuckoo Marans Parents

Yes on both counts. It takes a little practice.

Thank you, That is interesting. Is there a name or word for breeds/colors that are not exactly sex links but can be sexed with some accuracy as chicks?? And is there somewhere I can find out how accurate it is?

Thank you, That is interesting. Is there a name or word for breeds/colors that are not exactly sex links but can be sexed with some accuracy as chicks?? And is there somewhere I can find out how accurate it is?

Try searching sexing barred rocks. Works for all barred or cuckoo. I think the red breeds can be sexed by slight color difference. Search sexing Rhode Island reds. I know of no name for this. I believe some can sex wild type chipmunk pattern chicks by the stripes. I forgot where I saw this. I believe pullets are supposed to have a more defined head stripe that continues down the neck to the back. I will be testing this when I hatch some silvers.

It's called auto-sexing. The barred gene is sex-linked. For the Cuckoo Marans the hen has one copy and the rooster has two copies of that barred gene. The two copies of the gene will make the rooster a lighter shade than the hen when they feather out. It’s pretty noticeable. It’s also a way to tell if a rooster has two copies of the barred gene or is split for it. Same with Barred Rocks or Dominique. I have not hatched pure barred breeds so I don't have any direct experience with them, but I have not read of anyone using a difference in down color to sex Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rock chicks based on the barred gene.

The double barred gene causes the spot on the head to be larger on the cockerel chicks than on the pullets at hatch. It can be fairly subtle so it definitely takes practice. Someone, I think SpeckledHen, had a good thread with photos about doing that with Barred Rocks. On some of the examples in that thread it really is hard to tell. On some of those chicks I’d get it wrong.

There are some other methods with certain breeds of auto-sexing, usually down color but you asked specifically about Cuckoo Marans. There are also some methods of using sex-linked traits that are not mentioned in Tim’s first post, leg color for example. Tim’s first post in this thread is a primer just barely scratching the surface. I’m sure he could write, and maybe has written, books on the subtleties of sex linking chicks.

Back
Top Bottom