Sex- linked Information

Pics
Can any hen that carries the barring gene be used to make a Black Sexlink cross? Does she need to have 2 barring genes? Or even if she has a single barring gene will she always pass the barring gene on to here male offspring or only 50% of the time?

Last edited:
Can any hen that carries the barring gene be used to make a Black Sexlink cross? Does she need to have 2 barring genes? Or even if she has a single barring gene will she always pass the barring gene on to here male offspring or only 50% of the time?

Hens only have one barring gene. And yes any barred hen can be used to make sex links (barred rock, Delaware, Dominique, etc.

Males can have either one or two or none.

I have hens that are mixed breeds and they have one barring gene that they got from the rooster that sired them, so those hens will pass on the barring gene 100% of the time to her male offspring?

That is great news Thank You so much.

The hens I am using are laced and barred. The chicks I hatched out look like typical black sexlinks but I wasn't 100% sure about the barring gene being passed on 100% of the time, so thank you.

So here's a puzzle- I put a Cream Legbar hen under a Black Copper Marans rooster to make sexlinks. Most of them are as expected, all black for female or black with a headspot for male. Then I am getting WHITE chicks. I included a 1 week old male with a faint barring spot and a regular black sexlink female for comparison. The only thing I can figure out is I know some of my Cream Legbars carry a recessive white gene. But for it to show up in these chicks my Black Copper Marans rooster would have to be carrying the exact same recessive white gene, right?

Hi! I hatched out chicks from these possible crosses: Black Copper Marans or Buff Orpington Rooster over Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans hens. I have a chick in the mix with a white head and black spot. Can any color spot mean barring or did I slip in a Comet egg by accident?

Thanks!

Ok - here they are!

Mr. White Head is on the left. The typical white-spotted male is in the middle and an all black female on the end. (I also have a little d'Uccle bantam rooster in the pen....you don't think?!)

Back
Top Bottom