Sex- linked Information

I still not sure the white one is a pullet. I will let it grow out a little more. Red Rose Combs develop a little slower than my Rhode Island White Rose Combs, Single Comb Rhode Island Reds and Single Comb RIW's.

I had a surprise with my last (of 3 hatches) this season. Absolutely ALL of the yellow legged chicks were male. Same with this last hatch. And all of the willow green legged chicks were female... in the first 2 hatches. But... in this last hatch, there is one little cockrel who has willow green legs. I'm wondering if he was perhaps sired by one of this season's cockrels instead of my roo who fathered all of the first 2 batches. I've gotta love the way the genetics are playing out with my flock. Gotta be one of the most fun parts of raising chickens.

I had a surprise with my last (of 3 hatches) this season.  Absolutely ALL of the yellow legged chicks were male.  Same with this last hatch.  And all of the willow green legged chicks were female... in the first 2 hatches.  But... in this last hatch, there is one little cockrel who has willow green legs.  I'm wondering if he was perhaps sired by one of this season's cockrels instead of my roo who fathered all of the first 2 batches.  I've gotta love the way the genetics are playing out with my flock.  Gotta be one of the most fun parts of raising chickens.

Hey there
So my black sex link rooster bred my black sex link hen... I incubated the eggs. As of now I have 3 black and 2 yellow...?!??? I did the wing sexing and the yellow seem to be pulleys and the black seem to be Roos.... There is even one with white on his head. Question? Can sex link bred to sex link make sexable chicks by color??

They may or may not be able to be wing sexed. How do you know your rooster is a black sex link? Is he black? Red ? Barred? Your yellow chicks are probably just recessive whites.
Hey there
So my black sex link rooster bred my black sex link hen... I incubated the eggs. As of now I have 3 black and 2 yellow...?!??? I did the wing sexing and the yellow seem to be pulleys and the black seem to be Roos.... There is even one with white on his head. Question? Can sex link bred to sex link make sexable chicks by color??

They may or may not be able to be wing sexed. How do you know your rooster is a black sex link? Is he black? Red ? Barred? Your yellow chicks are probably just recessive whites.

He is barred with random brown feathers in certain places.

What do you mean recessive white?

Hey there

No- the chicks will not be sex lined by color or feather sexing.

Sexlinks are cross breeds and do not breed true. You can not make more sexlinks by crossing two sexlinked birds. You need very specific genes, either barring or silver, from the hen in order to make sexlinks.

He is barred with random brown feathers in certain places.

What do you mean recessive white?

Someone here correct me if I'm wrong, but as i understand it there are two kinds of white birds. Dominant white and recessive whites. The recessive whites take a white gene from both parents to display white coloring. The dominant whites only take a single gene.
Your chick with the white spot on its head is likely a cockerel since daddy is barred and momma is not. Other than that the rest are a crap shoot. Sex link to sex link will not give you sex linked chicks. Feather sexing only works on some breeds.

Someone here correct me if I'm wrong, but as i understand it there are two kinds of white birds. Dominant white and recessive whites. The recessive whites take a white gene from both parents to display white coloring. The dominant whites only take a single gene.
Your chick with the white spot on its head is likely a cockerel since daddy is barred and momma is not. Other than that the rest are a crap shoot. Sex link to sex link will not give you sex linked chicks. Feather sexing only works on some breeds.

Well... That's not good. I just checked, and all the black ones have white on their heads.

Incorrect on the head spot when you are breeding a sex link to a sex -- the sex link cross involving barring is a solid male over a barred female, yielding barred male chicks and non-barred females.

Back
Top Bottom