Sex- linked Information

Rhode Island Whites can be both rosecomb and singlecomb.
All poultry associations accept these two types of combs.

From the American Poultry Association

Rhode Island Reds Single Comb and Rose Comb American
Rhode Island Whites Rose Comb only American

I'll include the link

http://amerpoultryassn.com/Recognized_Large_Fowl.htm

Some hatcheries here in the US do have a single combed chicken they call Rhode Island White. Since they are not in accordance with the US APA Standard of perfection I consider them more of a marketing name than a breed name.

Different countries can have different requirements for certain breeds. An easy example is that the British Araucana can have a tail, the US Araucana cannot. The British recognize several colors/patterns of Sussex that we don't. Our APA does not recognize certain breeds that are common in Europe, but we do import some and sell them as that breed.

In some ways it can be a matter of semantics, what do you actually consider it takes to be a breed. For some people if they do not conform to the SOP recognized by the appropriate association of the country in question they are not a breed. Some people are more relaxed about that definition.

To me if a birds parents and grandparents and great grandparents at the least are purebred then the bird is purebred even if it fails to meet sop
Failing to meet sop just makes it pet or freezer quality not breeder

But then again I’m a dog breeder and the number of dogs produced that don’t meet showable definition of breed standard are and always will be higher than those that do, they are purebred just not breed able or showable

From the American Poultry Association

Rhode Island Reds Single Comb and Rose Comb American
Rhode Island Whites Rose Comb only American

I'll include the link

http://amerpoultryassn.com/Recognized_Large_Fowl.htm

Some hatcheries here in the US do have a single combed chicken they call Rhode Island White. Since they are not in accordance with the US APA Standard of perfection I consider them more of a marketing name than a breed name.

Different countries can have different requirements for certain breeds. An easy example is that the British Araucana can have a tail, the US Araucana cannot. The British recognize several colors/patterns of Sussex that we don't. Our APA does not recognize certain breeds that are common in Europe, but we do import some and sell them as that breed.

In some ways it can be a matter of semantics, what do you actually consider it takes to be a breed. For some people if they do not conform to the SOP recognized by the appropriate association of the country in question they are not a breed. Some people are more relaxed about that definition.
Yes, you are right.
Oh, the british araucana must have a crest too!!!

Can Columbian patterned birds (Columbian Wyandottes, Columbian Plymouth Rocks, Light Sussex, Light Brahmas) be used in a Red Sex Link cross? Say Buff Orpington cock over Light Brahma hens?

If you look in the red sex link chart in the first post in this thread, you will get your answer. The answer is yes.

Not only light columbians can be used to create RSL cross, but they are by far the best option.
Laced, duckwing and solid white colorations are harder to use.

Buff roosters are a good choice for an experienced breeder in my opinion, because it is not a dark color and the darker the roo the easier to sex the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom