Sex Linked Runner Flock

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kevin565, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I would like some input on my theory:

As everyone knows Runners are commonly used for their amazing laying capacities. That would mean most people would probably prefer a female. Due to this having sex linked ducklings would be beneficial. Hypothetically you had 1 drake and 4 hens. The Drake would be a chocolate runner while the ducks would be Black Runners. When breed the Drakelets would be black while the ducklets would be chocolate. Obviously these birds would not be beneficial for breeders because the next generation would not be sex linked and the genes would be of mixed colors. However, for a average backyard flock this would not be a big deal. Any thoughts on this theory?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    It might be hard to sell the drakes since most people won't want them and they aren't good eating. I guess that would be the upside of selling the ducklings straight run. It sounds like an interesting project, though.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Ducklings are also a lot easier to vent sex, I think. That's how I picked out my girls.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have been hatching from my crested runner drake recently and found that with 100% accuracy I can sex the offspring hatched from him and my buff girl - sadly it doesnt also work for others in the flock.

Knowing from hatch the sex of the ducklings has not had any impact on the sales etc of those ducklings. Some people who buy from me do want a larger ratio of females- but many really dont care what they have initally- and if the ratio is way off- come back for more to even things up. I sell my ducklings under 3 weeks old as unsexed- specifcally so that I dont end up with all males by letting people pick out just the females. Over 3 weeks old I sell as pairs only again so that i dont end up with too many drakes. Right now I actually have 3 females that will be for sale once I have some males to put with them.

Being able to make more females hatch in the first place is what you need to work out how to do.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by