Sex linking in wyandottes

ferreterni

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
I have a basic grasp of genetics but could do with some help. I have a barred wyandotte bantam male, what hens would i need to put with him for sex linked young? or can it not be done on a first cross. thanks in advance for any help.

When the male is barred there is no sexlinking possible, ALL of his offspring will have barring. Sorry!
smile.png

Thank you for your help. How would it work in wyandottes then? What goes to what for sex linked young. What would be result if I put a white silkie hen in with the above barred cock? barred silkie type things?

For sex linked matings, you have to use a hen with a sex linked trait paired with a rooster lacking it. This rule goes for any breed or mix.

For example a Black rooster with a Barred hen. Sons will be barred and daughters black.

Roosters with a sex linked trait will pass it on to all offspring, no exceptions. So trying him with any other color won't change the "status" of the sex linked trait. For example in your case Barred Wyandotte x White silkie= all black with weak barring. (barring has a dose effect). Barred x barred=100% barred (unless the rooster is not pure for barred, then half of the daughters will be non-barred)

Thats great, thanks. More silly questions, what traits are sex linked? Can the silkie feathering be partial? As in with a silkie cross it be just a bit more fluffy than a normal, or more normal than a true silkiy? Like in dogs you cross a long haired to a smooth haired and get a broken coat. Have had trouble finding information I needed on web, and got most of it answered in a couple of questions here, thanks again.

Last edited:
Not a problem.
smile.png

Sex linked ones I can think of right now: barred, silver, yellow legs(Id)..... there's a couple more, can't remember them but most are not that common or commonly used.

BTW you may come across as a sex linked mating to do something such as a RIR over a White(Rock, Leghorn) henoften with the implication the white is sex linked but it's actually just a white chicken line bred to have the other sex linked genes in them for this purpose. Silver and barring are the most commonly used ones.

Silkie is not exactly partial, as in all of the feathers look normal- no "silkiness" anywhere.. however often the feathers do appear longer and "softer". I don't know if this is directly due to the silkie gene, or to other genes that could be present in silkies for better "silking". Silkies have quite a lot of mutant genes in them.

Back
Top Bottom