Sex my Easter Egger chicks

I did go back and look at the eBay listing and there were easter egger roos also. And easter egger hens.

That makes a LOT more sense.
thumbsup.gif
Good to know the seller wasn't pulling a fast one. I hate it when they lie, it's happened to me.

Maybe with an EE male (mixed genes), but not a purebred Ameraucana male. First generation crosses would absolutely express the dominant genes like Muff/Beard, Pea Comb, and darker legs.

Now second generation mixes.... THAT would fall apart into chaos right quick. But basic genetics demand that the first generation chicks express dominant genes. Who is to say that the Ebay seller knew the difference between EEs and Ameraucanas? It is an extremely common mistake since hatcheries lie about what they are selling in that regard.
I believe you are wrong. I have Ameraucana/Leghorn mixes, and about half of them are clean faced with single combs. Ive even hatched out wheaten Ameraucanas from muffed/bearded parents and had some turn out clean faced.

Just to clarify who the possible parents are. All the legs are turning green now.

One dozen fertile hatching eggs from my home-grown, well cared for and loved chickens. The eggs come from my assorted breed hens. I have (pure bred) Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, White Ameraucana, Black/Blue and Wheaten Marans, Black Ameraucana, Black Australorp and Rhode Island Red hens. Some of my hens are also Easter Eggers. My Roosters are EE's and Pure Bred White and Black Ameraucana, they all carry the blue egg gene. Crossed with my brown egg laying hens give them the green, blue and assorted speckled eggs. The chicks that will hatch will be cute EASTER EGGERS. Some will have beards and muffs (from the Ameraucana), some will have feathered legs (from the Marans) and some will have clean legs and clean faces. You will get as many different colored chicks as you can imagine!

Quote: Well.... in THEORY a pure breed Ameraucana should carry 2 copies of the pea comb genes, 2 copies for beards and muffs and 2 copies of the blue egg genes, but that is theory..... in real life that is not ALWAYS true. I have PURE breed Ameraucana from a well known reputable breeder and when I cross that roo with another breed I will get straight combs and birds without beards and muffs..... but they still lay blue eggs. I have not heard of a white egg yet from the cross.

As with any breed there can be other genes not expressed. FOR example I have Wyandottes direct from another well known breeder and I get straight combs from those birds too. BUT I am of the theory that if the roos of that color had 2 copies of Rose comb I might have more fertility issues. Some times it is just a game of give an take. You take what you want and cull the rest. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water kinda thing.

Even well know breeders don't always test mate for such traits to breed true. Does not mean they NOT the breed they are sold as. Some traits will make me say that is a cross and not the Breed they were sold as.... Like yellow legs on an Ameraucana.... not good or a beard on my wyandottes. I don't keep any chicken with DQ's in any breed I raise and will cull for that, but that does not mean that bird is not the breed I know it to be.

Just to clarify who the possible parents are. All the legs are turning green now.

One dozen fertile hatching eggs from my home-grown, well cared for and loved chickens. The eggs come from my assorted breed hens. I have (pure bred) Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, White Ameraucana, Black/Blue and Wheaten Marans, Black Ameraucana, Black Australorp and Rhode Island Red hens. Some of my hens are also Easter Eggers. My Roosters are EE's and Pure Bred White and Black Ameraucana, they all carry the blue egg gene. Crossed with my brown egg laying hens give them the green, blue and assorted speckled eggs. The chicks that will hatch will be cute EASTER EGGERS. Some will have beards and muffs (from the Ameraucana), some will have feathered legs (from the Marans) and some will have clean legs and clean faces. You will get as many different colored chicks as you can imagine!
That ad sounds TRUTHFUL about what you got.

Hi! Would anyone here be able to take a shot at sexing my Eastrr Eggers? They are supposed to be pullets but I guess you just never know! Thank you so much!!

Oh also they are 5 weeks old!

Back
Top Bottom