Sex of 10 week Light Brahma

Ok, out of curiosity do the roos of this breed tend to just look like giant baby chicks forever?
Out of ten I've got a suspicious giant baby.
Yes :) Males feather in much slower *typically*. There have been some exceptions but if you have a bird that's significantly behind in feathering out, I would definitely be suspicious :)

She looks like a pullet IMO. I have been an outspoken proponent of not sexing Brahmas by comb width. Trying to use this method on my own it probably had 50% accuracy. It messed up my sexing more than helped. Here two different Brahma pullets at ten weeks.

D1811DB8-569D-42C6-99F6-9D4ADFEC1B73.jpeg

34D20976-14BB-428D-B81D-1231D8B7DFE3.jpeg

If Moose is a hen with those gargantuan feet, pointy saddle and hackle feathers and overall hugeness....thats gonna be a world record Brahma hen lol
As far as feathering out late on Roos, i gotta agree. I find the large/xlarge breed Roos really are behind in the feather department. Have a white Jersey Giant Roo that I feel was half naked and "butt-less" for like 1 month or more before he really started growing out telltale feathers🤣🤣

If Moose is a hen with those gargantuan feet, pointy saddle and hackle feathers and overall hugeness....thats gonna be a world record Brahma hen lol
As far as feathering out late on Roos, i gotta agree. I find the large/xlarge breed Roos really are behind in the feather department. Have a white Jersey Giant Roo that I feel was half naked and "butt-less" for like 1 month or more before he really started growing out telltale feathers🤣🤣
Brahmas are a huge breed. Feet size will be large for both genders. Moose also has neither pointed saddle nor hackle feathers. :) You're simply seeing the normal columbian pattern. Here is what pointed feathers would look like on a Light Brahma as exhibited by my cockerel. Sorry for the low quality, my phone has low storage so it won't download them from iCloud. :/
00B9C488-210B-4B56-AB71-C952D340100C.jpeg

Brahmas are a huge breed. Feet size will be large for both genders. Moose also has neither pointed saddle nor hackle feathers. :) You're simply seeing the normal columbian pattern. Here is what pointed feathers would look like on a Light Brahma as exhibited by my cockerel. Sorry for the low quality, my phone has low storage so it won't download them from iCloud. :/
View attachment 3159689
Agree to disagree my friend. I'm well acquainted with the size of Brahmas as I have two very hefty hens myself and have been around them plenty. If you compare Mooses Columbian pattern to his sisters in the pic where they're eating, his feathers are obviously more pointed. On my phone quality, the pic where Moose is in his owners arms I can see suggestions of pointed white feathers starting where I'm sure more thinner saddle feathers will overlay. Not all will be colored the same or show Columbian pattern in the saddles or he may just not be far enough feathered for those to show yet. My guess wasn't just based off my knowledge of Roos in general but also of my first hand experience with Brahmas. 😁

She looks like a pullet IMO. I have been an outspoken proponent of not sexing Brahmas by comb width. Trying to use this method on my own it probably had 50% accuracy. It messed up my sexing more than helped. Here two different Brahma pullets at ten weeks.

View attachment 3159340

View attachment 3159342
Thank you!! This is super helpful. Perhaps I'll wait a little longer. Is there a for sure "first sign" I can look for aside waiting for crowing?

Thank you!! This is super helpful. Perhaps I'll wait a little longer. Is there a for sure "first sign" I can look for aside waiting for crowing?
Give it a week or two max. Since they appear to be hatchery Brahma, they should mature pretty quickly. Look for a "built-up" comb rather than just width. Also look for wattles and pointed saddle feathers emerging that I pointed out in my other post. :) I would be very surprised if it did turn out to be a cockerel because out of all my male Brahmas, every single one had pointed saddle feathers by ten weeks which yours isn't exhibiting. Mine were from a breeder which makes maturation even slower. Here's my slowest to mature cockerel and while his comb isn't obvious yet, he has pointed saddle feathers and wattles.

BA3A35DF-675F-48B4-82D1-21DC21331FEC.jpeg

7DA127F6-DDD6-4B87-93A6-92E822D6D350.jpeg

Most of my cockerels however looked like this and were this red at ten weeks. I would expect a hatchery bird to be on par with this development already. :) Note the two on the left are pullets!

6965BA07-0EE4-44B2-87AF-4982CE3427CD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom