Sexing Light Brahmas and how big can they get?

AmooseReally

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2023
So I have 8 light brahma chicks and I wanted to know is it possible to sex them even at the young age of 1 week? And secondary less important question is how big can they really get and how long does it take for full size I know they mature earlier than they reach their full size.
20240107_191405.jpg

It is impossible to accurately sex them at 1 week. Slower maturing breeds like brahmas may take longer to show if it is a pullet or cockerel, at around 8 weeks you can usually tell male vs female.

For your second question, depending on where you got your brahmas (from a breeder that breeds to standards or from a hatchery) the size greatly depends. A breeder would breed brahmas to be +10 pounds while a brahma from a hatchery would weight a lot less as they don’t breed for size. Chickens stop growing at around a year old.

It is impossible to accurately sex them at 1 week. Slower maturing breeds like brahmas may take longer to show if it is a pullet or cockerel, at around 8 weeks you can usually tell male vs female.

For your second question, depending on where you got your brahmas (from a breeder that breeds to standards or from a hatchery) the size greatly depends. A breeder would breed brahmas to be +10 pounds while a brahma from a hatchery would weight a lot less as they don’t breed for size. Chickens stop growing at around a year old.
x2 I agree

2x. One week is far too young to sex them, six weeks is usually when you can tell their gender because that is when they begin to have the majority of their down replaced by feathers. Your Brahmas will likely not reach the normal size for their breed because Hoover's Hatchery has poor quality stock. Like @Rose the Legbar said, the typical chicken breed will stop growing at one year old, though I have to add that taller breeds like the Luikse Vechter will only reach adult when they are two years old.

Back
Top Bottom